HELP! Egg bound? Prolapse? Pecking?

ntdd

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2020
Just found my 13 month old ISAxRIR mix with a bloody vent and an egg stuck?! I came to visit and she was all puffed up and didn’t come over to say hi (she is usually the first). She lays almost every morning, I think she may have missed yesterday, but that’s not unheard of.

I’ll attach a photo. The egg is right there. I tried to see if it was stuck... I don’t know. It will rotate but I can’t really get it out. She pushed a few times while I was feeling around but it didn’t work. Maybe it’s sore so she stops pushing? It looks ripped/pecked around the edges. Theres that goo stuff you can see in the photo, but the egg feels unbroken

I’m sure my others were pecking at her after whatever happened, happened. I’ve been having feather pulling issues. That’s a whole other issue (I’ve been doing many things to try to curb it). But this has never happened before, it’s always just been feathers. Any advice is appreciated on how to help her.

I have separated her for now in a dog crate inside the coop. She drank when I put water in there and ate a few larvae, but no crumble yet.

Attachments

• A6F80765-E2FB-4D28-95DC-55EDEB7BF905.jpeg
    A6F80765-E2FB-4D28-95DC-55EDEB7BF905.jpeg
    266.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
How is she acting? Give her a Tums or calcium tablet right away and try to get her drinking water. If she seems stong enough, I would soak her in warm water, and try to manipulate the egg out. Lubricate the vent with oil, and keep trying if the soak does not help get it out. This is an emergency, and a vet should be considered.

She is acting ok, she is mostly just trying to find a way out of the crate. She isn’t pale. I will try the tums and soaking ASAP thank you!

Since she was pecked around the vent, I would also use some plain Neosporin ointment or honey on her vent. She could have had a small prolapse which might have attracted pecking her vent.

UPDATE: we got it out!! I’m so so relieved!!! It was HUGE 😳 No wonder it got stuck. Doesn’t help she’s a small chicken to start with!
She’s resting in the crate for the night. I put polyspoirn on her vent. She ate a scrambled egg and had a drink so that’s positive. The tip of her comb has turned a little purple (wasn’t like that earlier). I really hope that’s just from the stress of it all. I’ll check on her in a few hours (it’s night now) to make sure she’s ok 😖

Attachments

• 3F058ADA-FCFB-4D70-9504-309C07958BA2.jpeg
    3F058ADA-FCFB-4D70-9504-309C07958BA2.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 74FBA347-6B0D-427C-B669-F3A882EE31AF.jpeg
    74FBA347-6B0D-427C-B669-F3A882EE31AF.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 9
My goodness, that is huge. She should be feeling some better by now. Thise large eggs can easily become stuck. It could happen again, but I would make sure that she gets calcium in her feed or crushed oyster shell taken as she needs it, and try to keep her from getting overweight. That is about all you can do. Her vent could be a little damaged from this episode, which could make it worse. Let us know how she gets along.

Back
Top Bottom