HELP....EMERGENCY!!!!!!!

OK CALM DOWN FIRST, with this much excitement, I'm afraid you are going to do something you will regret, Your one day over that's OK, the rule of thumb is to wait 5 days past the due date. Lets start with Mr. Peeper (the first one). Can you hear him at all? is his peeping getting lower or does it seem about the same? the others maybe taking longer because they were in one position and now there are trying to get into a different position and cant. The shower thing is a great ideal but really not all that necessary. I have opened up the bator many times during lockdown and my chicks still hatched. Just as long as it's NOt opened for an extremely long time to where the humidity and temp a huge dip and a long time to get back up then you can run into problems..
Now how long has the one peeper been like this?

I noticed the small little pip yesterday around 6pm. On another thread someone suggested candling them ...so i did. 3 of the 4 are not moving at all...nothing in the aircell either. :( The one that is pipped I hear very faint chirping. I know he's still alive!!! But now what...I opened the bator quick to get the others to candle and then put them back (even though I'm pretty sure they are dead.) Now just wait or is there something I should do with the pipped one since I opened the bator?
OK CALM DOWN FIRST, with this much excitement, I'm afraid you are going to do something you will regret, Your one day over that's OK, the rule of thumb is to wait 5 days past the due date. Lets start with Mr. Peeper (the first one). Can you hear him at all? is his peeping getting lower or does it seem about the same? the others maybe taking longer because they were in one position and now there are trying to get into a different position and cant. The shower thing is a great ideal but really not all that necessary. I have opened up the bator many times during lockdown and my chicks still hatched. Just as long as it's NOt opened for an extremely long time to where the humidity and temp a huge dip and a long time to get back up then you can run into problems..
Now how long has the one peeper been like this?

oh and the chirping...this was my first time hearing it so i dont know if its supposed to be that soft. I just tried listening again but I don't hear anything now.

oh and the chirping...this was my first time hearing it so i dont know if its supposed to be that soft. I just tried listening again but I don't hear anything now.

they dont chirp steadaly... (sp) anyway, if you can hear her at any point chirping, you will know she isnt in distress.

Just give it time and see if you can hear anything. i will be checking this thread off and on today, im on a lot and always leave the window for this site open so i can get on faster....

If you need anything pm me, or i will check here. take a deep breath it will be ok.

Im not an expert by anymeans, but know quite a lot from reading so much.

Melissa~

OK, I personally would interveen, sounds like from them being flipped, they are struggling to get out but losing the battle...Your little peeper sounds like he maybe getting weaker and weaker. Get your self a bowl of warm water and a cloth or paper towels. I would take the peeping one, dip the cloth or paper towel in the warm water and wrap him up and very slowly and very carefully start removing some of the shell try to get as much off until you can get to the head and get his little head out. CROSSING FINGERS he's already absorbed the yolk. Once his head is out put him back into the bator and leave him for a couple of hours with the cloth or paper towel wrapped around him but NOT covering his head.. NOW if at anytime you are doing this and there is ONE speck of blood STOP IMMEDIATELY and get him back into the bator and wait a couple of hours. As far as the ones you think are dead, I would pull them out and do the same thing. Not sure exactly how many you have going there but if you can get one out, hopefully the others will be able to get out. So pull him out wrap him up, pull the other's out wrap them up and close the bator, open it one time only to get them and one time to put them back. if you have a fan in your bator, shut it off before opening it but turn it back on once you have the eggs, keep the others warm and comfortable... Helps keeps the humidity and temp up. I use tweezers to get the shell off. REMEMBER one speck of blood STOP and put him in.. Start at the air cell end the bigger/larger end. The ones you think are dead you will have to poke a hole to get started. Once you poke the hole put your ear by it tap the shell see if there's any noise. Sometimes they are way to weak to even get peeping, if nothing start pealing the shell.. Good luck..

You can't be opening the incubator to candle eggs if you have an egg pipped. I'm not sure why you would do that anyway, since you already have visible signs of life without having to do any candling. The more you mess with the eggs, the greater your chances that you're going to do something that hurts--not helps--the chicks. You made the right decision by placing the eggs on their sides to hatch and good job with steaming up the bathroom to make that switch! Now just sit tight and keep your hands out of the incubator to give those eggs a chance :)

It hasn't even been 24 hours since the chick pipped...... My eggs always go AT LEAST 18-24 hours before they make anymore progress after pipping. Guilting her into helping by saying the chicks are losing the battle because the eggs were flipped upside down for a few days is irresponsible. The reason they take so long between pipping and zipping is for drawdown to occur--they need time to absorb the blood and yolk sac. I don't know if there will be any adverse effects because they were upside down for a few days, but I don't think it could kill them. If humidity has been right through incubation they couldn't have drowned at internal pip. That's the only thing I can think of that would affect them when upside down. But again, that's a result of humidity issues (not from being upside down).

Last edited:
It hasn't even been 24 hours since the chick pipped...... My eggs always go AT LEAST 18-24 hours before they make anymore progress after pipping. Guilting her into helping by saying the chicks are losing the battle because the eggs were flipped upside down for a few days is irresponsible. The reason they take so long between pipping and zipping is for drawdown to occur--they need time to absorb the blood and yolk sac. I don't know if there will be any adverse effects because they were upside down for a few days, but I don't think it could kill them. If humidity has been right through incubation they couldn't have drowned at internal pip. That's the only thing I can think of that would affect them when upside down. But again, that's a result of humidity issues (not from being upside down).

She also mentioned the peeping sounded weaker and already lost 3 of them!!! The chicks could be stuck in a position that they can't get out and COULD be sufficating. I'm merely giving MY OPINION she is there WE ARE NOT, she can only tell what needs to be done, I gave her advise IN CASE she desides she wants to INTERVEEN!!!!

She said it was the first time she heard chirping. And she doesn't know for sure that she lost three. There's no reason to intervene this early.

Back
Top Bottom