HELP First time hatching! how can I tell ducks position massive saddle air sack & worried PICTURES

Checking is fine, the only risk is letting the humidity escape after an external pip. But even then, it's usually fine. Before an external pip is no problem at all.

You could check daily, or twice daily, I'd reccomend using your phone's flashlight to candle so that you don't need to handle the egg. That way you can just reach into the incubator to check quickly for an internal pip/any changes.

It's hard to tell what position it is in, but what you can do is look the egg over occasionally for bruises. A bruise may appear if the duckling is having a hard time breaking the shell, and would indicate it being malpositioned. I wouldnt expect to see this just yet, as it seems a little under developed and its only day 25.
Super helpful thank you!

It looks like it could have internally pipped, or just really trying to.
Can you see small movements like breathing?

Let me @New duck mommy 2021 as she's had more experience than me
Yes I can still see movement that looks like breathing/ absorbing the yolk think I’m mainly worrying if it’s not internally popped yet is it doing ok been as it’s been trying a hard for at least 24 hours now.

For me, I usually see around 24 hours of shadowing against the air cell, with them starting to try and get through the membrane

If it isn't internally pipped, it won't be breathing yet so no need to worry about suffocation or anything. Before the internal pip, there's not really anything you can do to assist yet.

This one is on day 26 right?
Yes day 26 so if it wasn’t for the saddling I wouldn’t be worried as we have plenty of time, I think I’m going to re assess tonight when candling not sure it’s it’s worth doing a safety hole then keeping the incubator shut until either hatch or needing clear assistance 😬

Some people do this, even before the internal pip, especially with eggs that are either expensive or important to the hatcher, it's just a precaution. As long as you keep that humidity up after you've made the hole it should be fine-- just know that if you make the safety hole, it will be a longer hatch, as baby won't feel the rush to break the shell so will wait until completely ready.

Here is the Assisted hatching article incase you decide to go down that route, it should explain how to make the safety hole
Thank you! I’ll keep you updated

To me that looks like internal pip
To candle when they are that far you should just keep the egg in the position of laying down
You may not hear chirping as not all do this but if you hold the egg ti your ear you will hear scratching noise
Agsin keep the egg in the laying down position when putting it to your ear
I only make a small safety hole and 24 hours just above where I see the beak the size of a sharpened pencil end
Nothing to big. This allows air in but not so much that membrane dries out
Most still external pip and zip but if they don’t then you can slowly start to help after 20-24 hours from making the safety hole. You don’t want to rush things as it can cause harm and these guys take awhile to hatch

I had shipped eggs last year (chicken not ducks) that had major saddling like that. I just set them with the big saddled part facing up. My chicks had zero issues hatching and came out healthy. They are 6 and 7 mo old now and starting to lay and all doing great. maybe that isn't the norm for saddled air cells I don't know. I just know I had 2 sets of shipped eggs and some in each had it, a LOT of them not just 1 or 2 and never had an issue because of it. I will post up some pictures of my eggs so you can see. IMO I would try not to worry too much. It looks like it may have internally pipped or is close. just give it time to do its thing.

2 sets of eggs. The first couple of pics were 2-3 days before they hatched. The rest are about 6-7 days before. A couple from that same hatch and a couple from the hatch before it.
That’s reassuring thank you! I’ve decided I’m going to do a air hole tonight just incase they have pipped as it’s been 24 hours now since I’ve suspected it, I think I’ll feel more comfortable watching and waiting then!
It’s soo hard to tell if your instinct is just paranoia orrrr you need to do something 😬🤣
May be a silly question but the day you put the eggs in the bator does that class as day 1 or day 0??

That’s reassuring thank you! I’ve decided I’m going to do a air hole tonight just incase they have pipped as it’s been 24 hours now since I’ve suspected it, I think I’ll feel more comfortable watching and waiting then!
It’s soo hard to tell if your instinct is just paranoia orrrr you need to do something 😬🤣
May be a silly question but the day you put the eggs in the bator does that class as day 1 or day 0??
I thought I read if you do a safety hole and they haven't internally pipped it can be bad. My chicks will normally peep if internally pipped or I at least hear the scratching sound. Sometimes I will tap on the egg to get it to start peeping or it will start when I candle it.

This is what I’m worried about just stepping in too soon arghhh it’s soo bloody hard! I think because it’s the last one it’s like we have one chance Ino I could make things worse by messing but I’m worrying about it suffercating 😬
Also the comments about it not having veins and not looking developed or alive haven’t helped veryyyy on edge

Back
Top Bottom