Help found one of my 3 month ducks upside in coop today😔

Dawnhaschickens

Chirping
Mar 13, 2022
Please help if can found my 3 month old sick upside down in her coop today and she can’t walk😔 I picked her up and got water into her she will eat grubs and drink but she can’t walk at all she falls backwards and to side. Have her in towel on my lap but just don’t know what to do and no vets in my area that treat ducks😡. I put electrode in water. I felt both legs don’t seem broke don’t see where anything attacked her and other two ok please any advise would help

BD7D3995-D590-4579-ADF1-650440C428DC.jpeg

This is such a cute picture! I’m sorry to hear your little one isn’t feeling well. I’ve never raised ducks, but generally with any animal it’s a great sign if they’re eating/drinking. Is it possible she fell somehow and landed the wrong way, hurting her legs but not breaking them? If an animal is sore they won’t typically want to put any weight on the affected area (legs/feet in this case). Just my thoughts and experiences with injured animals, hopefully someone with more duck knowledge can help! I hope she feels better. :hugs

This is such a cute picture! I’m sorry to hear your little one isn’t feeling well. I’ve never raised ducks, but generally with any animal it’s a great sign if they’re eating/drinking. Is it possible she fell somehow and landed the wrong way, hurting her legs but not breaking them? If an animal is sore they won’t typically want to put any weight on the affected area (legs/feet in this case). Just my thoughts and experiences with injured animals, hopefully someone with more duck knowledge can help! I hope she feels better. :hugs
Thank you

Put her in water she moves legs even when holding her. She doesn’t seem to be pooping at all been in lap all day no poop she is on duck feed and had raspberries and bananas other day

Her bill seems very warm not sure what to do. Gave her electrode water and added some yougurt in water just now

Do you give your duck any niacin supplements? Pekins grow so fast they are one breed that gets a niacin deficiency and liquid b complex is one way to treat. They can become lame and if left untreated can die. It may not be niacin deficiency but we sure see it a lot in spring and summer with young ducks. As for her not pooping if she’s been in your lap all day and hasn’t eaten that maybe why?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Back
Top Bottom