Help Hatching Call Ducks

Preschool Teacher

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2018
I currently have 18 Call ducks in my Brines incubator. I have had them at 99.5 and Humidity at 50%. Today is day 25 and I'm in lock down and have Humidity at 80%. These are shipped eggs and have saddle air sacks. It's been 12 hours since the first external pip and no other movement. I'm worried they will need help and don't want to wait to long but also don't want to be impatient and try to soon. Does anyone have more experience at this and can help with some advice? Thank you

Oooh, Call ducks are a challenge, for sure.
I usually wait 20-24 hours after an external pip before assisting any call ducks, usually gaged by the size of the air cell and the placement of the pip.
50% humidity for the early days is usually pretty high, did your air cells get large enough?
Also, they tend to punch around close to the original pip spot, making 2 or 3 more pips before actually beginning a zip.
It's a tough call of "when" to assist. Good luck!

:goodpost:

It's great that they've pipped externally on their own. You can relax a bit for now as you know they have access to oxygen. I wouldn't start worrying until the 24hr mark, then report back here for assistance if necessary. Good luck and :welcome

:goodpost:

It's great that they've pipped externally on their own. You can relax a bit for now as you know they have access to oxygen. I wouldn't start worrying until the 24hr mark, then report back here for assistance if necessary. Good luck and :welcome

I think my 3a.m. sleepless typing was mixing info. :D
I was meaning 20-24 hour from internal pip based on air cell size. But I do wait 24 hours after external pip too.

Any update @Preschool Teacher ?
:pop

I think my 3a.m. sleepless typing was mixing info. :D
I was meaning 20-24 hour from internal pip based on air cell size. But I do wait 24 hours after external pip too.

Any update @Preschool Teacher ?
:pop

Oh i read the OP post wrong, i thought they all pipped externally, but it says "first"... so the ones without pips may need safe holes soon what with the saddle cells and high humidity

Oooh, Call ducks are a challenge, for sure.
I usually wait 20-24 hours after an external pip before assisting any call ducks, usually gaged by the size of the air cell and the placement of the pip.
50% humidity for the early days is usually pretty high, did your air cells get large enough?
Also, they tend to punch around close to the original pip spot, making 2 or 3 more pips before actually beginning a zip.
It's a tough call of "when" to assist. Good luck!

what's the best humidity to use for call ducks? i am getting my first eggs on the 27th and i'm hella nervous about messing them up. i'm seeing a lot of mixed info on humidity but temp of 98.5 is pretty much acrs the board

Back
Top Bottom