help! Help! Help! I'm freaking out!

Grit is small rocks - birds have no teeth and must have grit to help them grind their food up. Without it they can't break down their food. If you have small gravel around, like slightly smaller than pea size, grab an assortment and put some in a bowl for her. If you don't, feed stores sell bags of grit.

I'm sure this is a learning experience for you. All animals have specific dietary and social needs. It's best to research what an animal needs before ever getting one instead of assuming what might work. I hope your girl recovers and lives a long happy life outside with other chickens where she belongs.

Grit is gravel, give her some clean dirt out of your garden, not potting soil from a plant or anything. It's fine gravel they use to break up larger pieces of food that hasent been ground up and turned into crumbles or pellets. Whole seeds and corn and food like that which hasent been processed needs to have grit. If she's only outside for a couple hours a day she might need more than what she's been getting

I'm sure this is a learning experience for you. All animals have specific dietary and social needs. It's best to research what an animal needs before ever getting one instead of assuming what might work. I hope your girl recovers and lives a long happy life outside with other chickens where she belongs.
Hey Amanda I'm absolutely positive you're trying to help but you might be discouraging people from seeking help. I know there's a learning curve to everything and it's painful to watch others do it with critters sometimes, but kcpeep is asking for help, and as best as everyone can, we're all here to help each other
1f60a.png

I don't think this was meant as harmful, @Newmamabear , and appreciate the sentiment that it may come off as harsh.
hmm.png
Also that it was probably meant as mentoring for future ventures.
smile.png

The use of emojis is definitely helpful.
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif
We are definitely a helpful and caring community here that I am honored to be a part of!!
highfive.gif

I don't think this was meant as harmful, @Newmamabear
 , and appreciate the sentiment that it may come off as harsh. :/  Also that it was probably meant as mentoring for future ventures. :)

The use of emojis is definitely helpful. :D   :thumbsup   We are definitely a helpful and caring community here that I am honored to be a part of!! :highfive:  
1f44c.png
Well said.

I don't know how any of that was discouraging. Honest advice and encouragement to think ahead in the future is what it was meant as. We are responsible for the welfare of the animals we take on. There was a day and time not long ago that emojis didn't exist to soften every blunt or honest statement. I am saddened that people would even think a statement as general as the one I made could even be taken as harsh honestly. There shouldn't be anything wrong with being accountable for actions or lack there of after something happens. After all how are we supposed to learn if we can't even learn from our mistakes.

Hey Amanda I'm absolutely positive you're trying to help but you might be discouraging people from seeking help. I know there's a learning curve to everything and it's painful to watch others do it with critters sometimes, but kcpeep is asking for help, and as best as everyone can, we're all here to help each other
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom