HELP! Hen making a gurgling sound!

I listened to that video. Is that the hen of which you speak? If so, she's likely got a crop disorder causing fluids to spill over into her trachea, causing liquid gurgles. She may need to be treated for sour crop or she may need a crop bra to help her empty her crop. Here is my aricle on identifying crop issues and treating them. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I would listen to @azygous. She's very experienced in this field. Much more than I am, anyway. You can take them with a thermometer by mouth, if the hen lets you.
I went to the link and read that if they have sour crop they stop eating but will drink a lot. My hen is eating like normal and drinking like normal too.

Can you pick her up and examine her? Check for any bubbles in they eyes, any drainage from the eyes, nose, or mouth. How does her crop feel? Any facial swelling?

Did you feel her crop this morning before she ate food and drank? That's how to check a chicken for a possible crop disorder.

My take, though I haven't seen your hen which would be helpful if you'd post a pic of her in profile so we can see how her crop hangs, is she may have pendulous crop. Go back and read the article again and pay attention to pendulous crop. This can cause the crop never to completely empty, and it can develop into sour crop as the contents ferment.

Gurgling of the "chest" isn't actually from the lungs, but rather mucus, pus or blood build-up in the trachea, causing a gurgling and/or congested sound. Disease I know that can cause this are Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) or Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT). Both of these diseases are permanent lifelong chronic respiratory diseases, that are incurable. MG is treatable with antibiotics to ease the symptoms, but it doesn't cure the infected birds and all birds remain lifetime carriers of the bacteria. As for ILT, it is caused by a virus and since it is, ILT is not treatable nor curable, it is a devastating and horrible disease to let your chickens go through. Since ILT is caused by a type of Gallid Alphaherpesvirus, it is a distant cousin of Marek's Disease, which is also caused by the Gallid Alphaherpesvirus 2. ILT being Gallid Alphaherpesvirus 1 (GaHV-1) and Marek's Disease being Gallid Alphaherpesvirus 2 (GaHV-2). The only way to know if your birds are dealign with MG or ILT, is by getting them tested. If you're in the US, I highly recommend that you talk with your state veterinarian about getting testing done for your birds. Sending out a bird for a necropsy is the most accurate way to get accurate results. Please, whatever you choose to do, DO NOT BREED from your sick birds to SELL/GIVEAWAY/GIFT, ETC, as you'll being spreading disease (which is also reportable). Keep a closed flock- no bringing in anymore birds and no letting any birds from your sick flock, leave your sick flock.

Gurgling can also be related to a crop issue if ONE bird is showing symptoms. If there are more than ONE bird showing gurgling sounds, then it's most likely a disease. Check inside their throats and make sure there are NO blockages or any obstructions causing the gurgling sound.

Gurgling of the "chest" isn't actually from the lungs, but rather mucus, pus or blood build-up in the trachea, causing a gurgling and/or congested sound. Disease I know that can cause this are Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) or Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT). Both of these diseases are permanent lifelong chronic respiratory diseases, that are incurable. MG is treatable with antibiotics to ease the symptoms, but it doesn't cure the infected birds and all birds remain lifetime carriers of the bacteria. As for ILT, it is caused by a virus and since it is, ILT is not treatable nor curable, it is a devastating and horrible disease to let your chickens go through. Since ILT is caused by a type of Gallid Alphaherpesvirus, it is a distant cousin of Marek's Disease, which is also caused by the Gallid Alphaherpesvirus 2. ILT being Gallid Alphaherpesvirus 1 (GaHV-1) and Marek's Disease being Gallid Alphaherpesvirus 2 (GaHV-2). The only way to know if your birds are dealign with MG or ILT, is by getting them tested. If you're in the US, I highly recommend that you talk with your state veterinarian about getting testing done for your birds. Sending out a bird for a necropsy is the most accurate way to get accurate results. Please, whatever you choose to do, DO NOT BREED from your sick birds to SELL/GIVEAWAY/GIFT, ETC, as you'll being spreading disease (which is also reportable). Keep a closed flock- no bringing in anymore birds and no letting any birds from your sick flock, leave your sick flock.

Gurgling can also be related to a crop issue if ONE bird is showing symptoms. If there are more than ONE bird showing gurgling sounds, then it's most likely a disease. Check inside their throats and make sure there are NO blockages or any obstructions causing the gurgling sound.
I now have two chickens making the gurgling sound, but I am starting to hear the sound a lot less often than before. I got some VetRx hoping it would help but I am not sure if it will.

Have you inspected the throats of these chickens? Look for worms wiggling around behind the tongue. Look for any signs of white or yellow plaque coating the insides of their mouths. Look for mucous which might signal a respiratory disorder. Use a head lamp or have someone hold them while you shine a flashlight into their mouths.

Have you inspected the throats of these chickens? Look for worms wiggling around behind the tongue. Look for any signs of white or yellow plaque coating the insides of their mouths. Look for mucous which might signal a respiratory disorder. Use a head lamp or have someone hold them while you shine a flashlight into their mouths.
Ok, thank you so much I will do this when I get home.

Yeah, the one that was sick first is new. I got them about a week ago, but I didn't quarantine them because they had just had been wormed and he said something about some shots they also had.
If they're both doing it now then I suspect a respiratory infection. Have you brought any new birds into your flock recently?
I also thought it might be a respiratory infection but I don't know what kind of medicine to use. Would VetRx work for respiratory infections?

Yeah, the one that was sick first is new. I got them about a week ago, but I didn't quarantine them because they had just had been wormed and he said something about some shots they also had.

I also thought it might be a respiratory infection but I don't know what kind of medicine to use. Would VetRx work for respiratory infections?
No, vetrx is like how we use vicks. I've used tylan for respiratory infections. Just so you know, respiratory infections make your flock carriers now and you will have to decide to either cull them and start over or treat them for their lifetime and close your flock. You can never get rid of it, just treat the symptoms as they appear. You can also not sell any chicks, hens, or hatching eggs.

Back
Top Bottom