help hen with swollen eye

wjmiller

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
Lucy my buff orp has a swollen eye.It was watery and had bubbles.After a round of duramycin and tylan 50 shots I dont see any bubbles but still swollen.She eats and drinks normal. HELP i dont know what else to do.

I would try washing her eye out with saline solution (like the kind you use on contacts). Do you know what caused her swollen and bubbly eye in the first place?

I have been rinsing it out.I bought 5 chicks and after a while her eye started swelling.

Is it possible that the hen got something in her eye or she cut or scraped her eye or near the eye? It may not be something internally that's causing this. It may be an injury. Maybe that's why the eye didn't clear completely up with the treatment you gave her. Can you give her eye another "check-up"? Posting a picture would help us, too, but I think you have to have 10 posts to do so.

i been washing it out cant see anything in it.its the upper eye lid thats more swollen and red. Thanks

I cant post a picture at the moment what about silver nitrate someone said this would help anyone know anything about it thanks

Benadryl usually helps for swelling. The most you should use is 1/2 mg at 8-12 hours apart for really bad cases. You probably won't need this much if it is just eye swelling, and you don't want to overdose her. Be prepared for her to be tired, as Benadryl will cause drowsiness. It's possible that while you were rinsing her eye you got the problem out, and now her eye is just irritated from all that. Hope she is ok!

I have a light sussex with a swollen lump between eye and beak, lump is hot, hard and bubbles in eye. She is eating and drinking ok i think but is not putting on lots of weight. Sticky clear liquid coming out of nostil and it smells bad! One theory is maybe a rice husk got caught in her eye??
I apologise for interrupting wjmillers post. I am new to this and didn't mean to be rude by posting my problem with yours.

Last edited:
Benadryl usually helps for swelling. The most you should use is 1/2 mg at 8-12 hours apart for really bad cases. You probably won't need this much if it is just eye swelling, and you don't want to overdose her. Be prepared for her to be tired, as Benadryl will cause drowsiness. It's possible that while you were rinsing her eye you got the problem out, and now her eye is just irritated from all that. Hope she is ok!
Are you saying that the dose is .5mg or 1/2 a human pill?

Back
Top Bottom