Help! I don't know if my coop is good enough for my chickens... Ugh!

You ARE crazy. That coop looks great! Put some vinyl flooring and paint and you are finished.
smack.gif
to snap you out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You see the pictures of all these lovely pristine coops on this site - just remember: that's BEFORE the chickens moved in. Chickens make a mess and you'd have to be seriously OCD to try or expect to keep things "sanitary" in the strictest sense of the word. That chicken coop is absolutely awesome and will work out great, the chickens will live happily there. The only thing you might need to work on is a little more ventilation (Check out Pat's Big Ol' Ventilation Page on this site - it's awesome) and the other main thing is to make sure that it is secure from predators, and that is totally achievable! Nice work.

Last edited:
If you only have $500.00 in that, it's money well spent. I wouldn't be building another one. Of course unless you wanted to add more birds later. I vote, keep the coop!!!

I believe the reason it feels "dank" inside is because you don't have much ventilation (that I can see)

Isn't there some "rule of thumb" like one sq ft of vents per chicken?? I'm not sure, but it's a lot more ventilation than you might think. They put out a lot of moisture breathing, and pooping, which can cause respritory problems and in the wintertime too much moisture in the coop is linked with frostbite. With vents, more is better! Just cover them in hardware cloth and screw it down good to keep the varmits out

Thanks for all of the comments! I've snapped out of it:D and will be posting more pics on the final coop soon.

Back
Top Bottom