Help! I rescued a wild duck whose mother left in our pool

Motherduck123

Hatching
Jun 4, 2015
I rescued a duckling whose mother left in our pool, strongest little duck ever. Well needless to say it's now 5 weeks old (Honey the duck) and it's still in a child's play pen in our kitchen with duck food, water, a large water container that I add peas and dandelion root too and a pack of flowers I get from Home Depot. Outside we have a large run connected to a dog house that I move (her)? To during the day. She's not alone my dautschand is with her when she's outside, and both the cat and dog hang with her in the house. I let her roam around downstairs when we're home and cleaning the poop up as she poops! Ok so my question is can we move her outside full time, locking her in the pen at night then letting her roam free durning the day even though she's a loan duck? Will she be ok at night alone? The dog sleeps inside and the cat never goes outside. We love her and think of her as a member of our family the dog and cat hang with her and she kinda listens when I tell her no or good girl. I don't want her to be lonely outside by herself not sure what to do, help? And if so when does she spen all time outside? She thinks she's a dog or cat by now:)

Actually she probably does think she is a dog or a cat . . . ducks identify as whoever they are with - so without other ducks she doesn't know she's a duck, necessarily.

Life is complicated by the existence of a law called the Migratory Bird Act. It restricts having mallards (considered migratory birds). I will leave it up to you how you want to proceed, but keeping her safe is really important.

Mallards can fly, so if you let her outdoors, her instincts will eventually kick in, I think, and she will fly. But she has not learned how to be a wild mallard, and so would be at risk of starving . . . .

I don't think she will be happy alone.

I have a 4 week old duckling that i rescued. it was all alone and maybe a day or two old. It is very lonely and has outgrown my small apartment. If you are interested in a buddy for your little guy, i would be more than happy to figure out a way to get it to you. I also love this little ducky and he loves my cats and 5 year old son, but i work long hours and he is more often than not alone. I know he is lonely.
:( let me know if you are interested!

Maybe where are you located? And not sure how to combine them boys girls? I'll private message you my number. Thx

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom