Help Identifying Surprise Duckings Please?

Feanor

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2012
Mississippi
I got some surprise ducklings from Ideal, and there are a few that I'm not sure about. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what kind I have!

Peking maybe?

Mallard?

Black Runner?

Fawn and white runner?

No idea about this one!

Thank you very much to anyone who replies, I am new to ducks so I greatly appreciate your help!

I have magpies, and they do, indeed, have those feet! If ancona isn't possible, then it is DEFINITELY a magpie! You're so lucky to have so much diversity!
smile.png
Thanks! I could not recall clearly.

I got some surprise ducklings from Ideal, and there are a few that I'm not sure about. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what kind I have!

Peking maybe? Probably

Mallard? No, look at those feet. Might be ancona. http://duck-it.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=61893098

Black Runner? I feel it's a Swedish - guessing black Swedish

Fawn and white runner? Probably

No idea about this one! Khaki Campbell, I think

Thank you very much to anyone who replies, I am new to ducks so I greatly appreciate your help!
welcome-byc.gif

The one you think might be a Pekin... Is it the same size as the fawn/white runner (I agree on the f/w runner) or is it a little bigger? Watch for the next week or two and if she seems to be getting a lot bigger a lot faster than the runner it's probably a Pekin. If it keeps growing the same rate as the runner and starts to stand up straighter it's probably a white runner. (I've learned this from my own Pekin and runners). The little brown one is probably a Khaki Campbell.

These are a few of my ducklings 2 days after hatching. The one on the left is my f/w runner. On the right is my Pekin. It's really hard to tell between runner and Pekin at that age but they grow FAST so it won't be long before you'll be able to tell. (Right behind them is my black runner).

Thanks!

Amiga, do you think the second picture could be a black and white magpie? I checked and Ideal doesn't sell Anconas, but I agree that its definitely not a mallard.

Rubberduckies, The suspected Pekin is noticeably larger and brighter yellow than the probable fawn and white runner, its the color difference that makes me think they aren't the same, but I know colors can vary. Thanks for sharing the pic of yours!

Yes, I thought about Magpie, but the photo's I found don't have the multicolored feet. Hmmmm. I am far from expert on every breed. Anyone know of a duckling encyclopedia? That would be immensely useful.

Feanor, may I use that photo of the maybe Ancona on the other thread where I am asking everybody which breeds have multicolored feet, so they can see?

It is hard to tell for sure with the pics because some of them may not be in their normal standing position due to your hands. But I'd say pic 1 probably Pekin. 2 could be magpie, the drawings on Ideals site show multi colored feet on thier magpies. 3 I'd say black swedish but their site says they have only blue not black swedish. 4 possibly runner, hard to say for sure, if it stands upright like that on its own than yes. 5 hard to tell if its brown or blue. It could be campbell, runner, swedish depending on color.

Ideal only actually has Magpie, Runners(black and fawn/white), Cayugas, Pekin, Rouen, Mallard(grey and snowy), Buffs, Swedish (blue), Indias (black) and Campbells. Virtually all of them they sell come in a crested variety ( I find this as odd as only having drawings, not pictures). So you could have anything listed. They sell sexed ducklings so if you got straight run you should expect all or mostly males.

I have magpies, and they do, indeed, have those feet! If ancona isn't possible, then it is DEFINITELY a magpie! You're so lucky to have so much diversity! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom