I have to agree with @Eggscaping. I wouldn't be so hasty to assume nothing is going on in the eggs.
Most of my eggs are extremely dark so I don't remove any eggs unless they leak or stink.
It won't hurt anything to cook an infertile egg a bit longer.
On two occasions, I opened an egg to see what was going on. In one, I must have miscalculated the set date and into the compost pile I cracked open a live embryo that was about to hatch. On another occasion, I opened an egg into a dish and there was an eyeball staring back at me.
There are so many variables in hatching eggs that many overlook.
As others have said, it is imperative that every incubator, thermometer and hygrometer must be verified/calibrated to insure accuracy. It is the rare incubator that has absolutely accurate readings out of the box.

Additionally, the mistakes relating to low hatch rates may have been committed long before firing up the incubator.
It begins with attention to enhanced breeder nutrition starting at least 2 weeks before collecting eggs for incubation. It also involves keeping clean nests, clean collection equipment, proper egg storage prior to setting and then all the other incubator potential issues.
Ideally, eggs in storage should only experience 2 temperature changes. One on cool down after being laid and the next upon warmup just before coming up to incubation temperature. Too rapid of warm up can cause condensation, potentially introducing bacteria.
During storage, they should be turned regularly and kept in a cool humid environment.

If you don't have an additional guaranteed accurate thermometer to verify the incubator's readings, you don't know for sure it is right.

What do you mean with calibrate the incubator? Do you mean using an Hygrometer? I can only tell you that it says 38 degrees on the outside of the machine.
No, I mean that the incubator's thermometer could be incorrect. When we did it, we got a second thermometer, which we calibrated (there are instructions on this site, if you do a forum search for 'calibrate thermometer') to be sure the temperature was reading correctly. If your incubator's thermometer is incorrect, it can drastically affect your incubation.

Today is day 18 Lockdown day. I candled the last egg I think is alive. I just want to know whether anyone could also confirm that it was still alive. I want to at least have one fluffybutt, will get a chickmate if needed, so it isn't lonely. Please let me know what you think.
IMG_20200817_095407_BURST002.jpg

It could be alive or dead. I can't tell from a still picture. When I candle, I look for movement in that space between the air cell and the black mass.

Today is day 18 Lockdown day. I candled the last egg I think is alive. I just want to know whether anyone could also confirm that it was still alive. I want to at least have one fluffybutt, will get a chickmate if needed, so it isn't lonely. Please let me know what you think.
View attachment 2293541
I'm no expert...only done it once, but it looks viable to me. Keep hope!

Back
Top Bottom