Help me get 14 yr old DD doing her dishes chore--at my wits end here!

Quote:
Bravo!!
clap.gif

Gee, now I wish I had kids... I've got chores to do!

No need for yelling, screaming, monitoring or anything else. Dishes aren't done by 6 (or whatever time you want them done)? Then you or someone else can do the dishes and SHE gets to pay for the inconvenience she's caused. Since she gets paid a dollar to do dishes she should certainly have to pay two dollars to have someone do them for her. It's all up to her, it's her responsibility and her choice. You just have to make sure you or someone else is on standby for a couple of nights until she realizes she can't afford this.

I wouldn't do any of her laundry until she can do the dishes, go to school in dirty clothes, it's mean, but not like you're beating her or withholding food........

If she doesn't do the dishes then I would do them and she would get NO $ for the week - not just for that 1 chore. My DD is 22 now and I went through that. At about 14 girls turn on you. They will stab you to death in your sleep if they could! Evil things. I'm old fashioned, so mine got a foot up her *** and that worked fine. If it didn't, I turned her father loose on her 'cause his foot is bigger.
big_smile.png

My kid was literally days away from boarding school. I had one picked out overseas and she could come home for Christmas. That helped straighten her out, but looking back - I wish she would have gone and gotten a different perspective and culture than just the local fare. By the way, my DH and I never argued except when raising that teenager. Now she's out of the house and no more arguements! Kids
roll.png

I like the chore payment option, it might work out that she really rather pay one of the others to do the dishes, win-win.

This is what mom&dad did to me, I got X amount per chore if all were completed, if not each incomplete chore cost 2x or 3x depending who ended up doing the chore (mom was handicapped and highly educated therefore her 'work' was 'worth' more)

Quote:
HEChicken,
I think your plan is brilliant! Would you consider sharing what all is on your chore list and what category it falls under (weekly, monthly etc)?- I'd love to adapt your method for my 5yr old and my DH and I!
bow.gif

Quote:
That would be a great reward once she learns that chores are not about "what we like to do" but 'what needs done".

Once willingness to pitch into the household needs is shown, then maybe bargaining for better chores could be done.

Back
Top Bottom