MaiyaTurtle

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2018
Ok so, I am freaking out because I had my Silkie hen laying on 3 eggs for over a week, I was unable to check on her for 3 days and I went in the coop today; she was in a different nest! I REALLY want these eggs to hatch, and I don’t know how long she was off, it could have been 3 days. I am just wandering if there was ANY chance my babies will hatch :-(

I'm sorry- but not all hope is lost! Eggs can hold their internal temperature steady for quite a while. Do you have an incubator? If so, now would be the time to get it out and pop those eggs in. If you do not have an incubator, you can make a homemade one:https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Simple-Homemade-Incubator-for-Chicks

If this is not an option for you, you could try separating the mama from the rest of the flock and put her in a doggie crate with food water, and a comfy nest. slip the eggs under her. This might keep her more focused on incubating her eggs.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response! I do not have an incubator, once I saw this, I put one of my other broody hens in the eggs, they are warming up and this hen is SUPER broody. So if I keep them under her they should still hatch? They WERE soposed to hatch next Thursday.

Some people put the broody hens in a small, separate pen with just one nest until the chicks have hatched and are old enough to transfer to the main pen. You might want to give it a try.

UPDATE:
Today is the chicks dudate. Good news! Although they haven’t hatched yet (which is expected since their mom left them) I wen tout this morning and one egg was moving and you could hear pecking!!! I did as suggested and put the new mom in a crate with the eggs. Now I am expecting a black, white, and red silkies! Thank you so much and I will let you know if they all hatch and when!

6007FC37-E8F7-40CA-BDF7-6EB392B36EF5.jpeg Just hatched!

Back
Top Bottom