Help me with my rooster!!

happy_feets12

Chirping
Oct 27, 2020
Hi guys,
so i have this rooster and he i very young around 10month and he was yeasterday OK, then i let them out in garden and he was suddenly incapable. He can walk and run around but his left eye is all the time half closed and his right eye is opened. he drinks weird like he didn’t know hot to drink. I think he also has high temperature because his skin is very hot. I give him cold compresses to reduce his temperature. Can you tell me what to do with him?
Thank you for the help❤️

Attachments

• DF241126-C14E-42F4-BF00-7B392278A657.jpeg
    DF241126-C14E-42F4-BF00-7B392278A657.jpeg
    567.4 KB · Views: 12
  • BFED3BF3-25AA-4149-8C7E-316E5C837D2C.jpeg
    BFED3BF3-25AA-4149-8C7E-316E5C837D2C.jpeg
    401.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Where are you located in the world?
What's your temperature like?

Photos of his poop would be good.
A video of his actions (the way he drinks?) may help too - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Check his crop - what does that feel like?
Have you looked inside his beak for obstruction or canker?

You have another cockerel? Could be this one got kicked in the side of the head - check the eye to see if there's any debris in it. Flush it with saline just in case.

Not sure how you can tell if he's got a high temp or not - chickens are warm to begin with. Normal temp is 105-107F so...

A video of his actions (the way he drinks?) may help too - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

You have another cockerel? Could be this one got kicked in the side of the head - check the eye to see if there's any debris in it. Flush it with saline just in case.

Not sure how you can tell if he's got a high temp or not - chickens are warm to begin with. Normal temp is 105-107F so...
I live in Europe, at the moment is 71F. I will post a picture of his poop when i catch it. His crop feels empty, but when he drinks water is full. Yes, i looked inside his beak i don’t see nothing strange, but i see some fluid(yellow,white) like slime in his mouth
Here is the video of him drinking.
https://youtube.com/shorts/On00_5VPmdY?feature=share

I live in Europe, at the moment is 71F. I will post a picture of his poop when i catch it. His crop feels empty, but when he drinks water is full. Yes, i looked inside his beak i don’t see nothing strange, but i see some fluid(yellow,white) like slime in his mouth

Here is also his picture of poop. I hope you can see it.

Attachments

• 4DF8C467-1B7B-4EAA-9EC7-6D62854742EA.jpeg
    4DF8C467-1B7B-4EAA-9EC7-6D62854742EA.jpeg
    1,014.6 KB · Views: 9

What do you feed?
Since you are in Europe, is vet care an option?

The poop is not normal.
Can you tell if he can see well. He certainly is drinking different than I have seen.
Is his "good eye" always open, do you see him blink?

I would consider yellow/white fluid inside the beak strange. I would check inside the beak again. Watch to see if he can actually close his beak.
Side that he has the eye closed looks like it may be a bit swollen, possible abrasion - I do have to wonder if he was kicked by another cockerel and just needs a couple of days to get over it.

If he's with other cockerels and getting bothered, then I would move him. Raise his water container so he doesn't have to reach over so far. Get some poultry vitamins into him and offer him some wet feed.
Monitor that poop - if it's consistently like that and you can't think of anything in his diet that would cause it, then taking a fecal sample to your vet would be a good idea.

Have you ever had any chickens that seemed to have symptoms of Marek's - limping, paralysis, sudden death, etc.?

What do you feed?
Since you are in Europe, is vet care an option?

The poop is not normal.
Can you tell if he can see well. He certainly is drinking different than I have seen.
Is his "good eye" always open, do you see him blink?

I would consider yellow/white fluid inside the beak strange. I would check inside the beak again. Watch to see if he can actually close his beak.
Side that he has the eye closed looks like it may be a bit swollen, possible abrasion - I do have to wonder if he was kicked by another cockerel and just needs a couple of days to get over it.

If he's with other cockerels and getting bothered, then I would move him. Raise his water container so he doesn't have to reach over so far. Get some poultry vitamins into him and offer him some wet feed.
Monitor that poop - if it's consistently like that and you can't think of anything in his diet that would cause it, then taking a fecal sample to your vet would be a good idea.

Have you ever had any chickens that seemed to have symptoms of Marek's - limping, paralysis, sudden death, etc.?
For chicken we don’t have vets i think, they are most for dogs, cats.... Also when i gently press his nose some fluid comes out.
Yes i had chickens with Marek’s but they were totally different.
He can walk and run normal. I will move him alone and i will see if he will be better. I think maybe some other chicken can kick him or maybe he fell somewhere, because he is a little clumsy😛

Back
Top Bottom