Help! My chickens are dropping dead with no warning!

Chicks 'n ducks

Songster
6 Years
Jan 23, 2018
Northern Colorado
Hello,
I have been struggling with some nasty disease in my flock of silkies. It started in fall of last year when I had one of my first chickens, a silkie pullet, get sick. she wasn't acting herself, not much of an appetite, hunched. Then, the next day or so, she was struggling to breathe/wheezing. I was trying everything to help her. then, she dropped to her side, not being able to stand. died maybe 30 minutes later. Second time was later that year, with another silkie pullet, I found her in the morning, not able to stand, wheezing, died 30 minutes later. 3rd time was different. My silkie pullet struggled/acted sick for maybe a month or more before finally dying like the others. Then, last night, I had my one and only EE pullet start acting sick. (wheezing/laboured breath) I put her in a kennel with layer mash and electrolyte water. She was dead this morning. Excuse my language, but what in hell could this awful disease be? It's completely DEVASTATING.

Yes, a far amount of flies around the coop and yard, no gnats.
It could be the flies that are killing them The only way to find out is to get a necropsy.

It could also be a marriage disease worms bacterial infection.... Respiratory disease... Any number of things.

Please invest in some Permethrin and spray daily to knock the flies down.

@mixedUPturk sound familiar to you?

I did contact somebody about a necropsy, but it is 70$ where I live and a lot of logistics. I might do it any way.
Did you contact your state lab They are usually the cheapest and also where vets send off for testing.

Back
Top Bottom