HELP!! my duck been attacked by a fox (Graphic photo)

khurbanx

Songster
May 3, 2018
medway
*** graphic photo ***

For the first time ever - Mr fox has got brave and attacked one my ducks I must say I'm not impressed -

We never had a fox problem untill last few weeks - we make sure ducks are away before it dark and fully locked in the pen ..

The duck all clean up , and now sitting in a box nice and warm why we keep eye on him

What do I need to look out for ?

He still in a bit off shock :( my other 3 ducks haven't quacked since it happens there also in shocked but wasn't hurt ..

IMG_20191107_225713.jpg

@casportpony @Eggcessive @Miss Lydia
Applying cornstarch will staunch the bleeding if you don't have access to BleedStop. Vetrycin is a good product to spray on the injured area. Keep him warm & dry, food & water, protein helps wound healing. Applying triple antibiotic ointment or neosporin, bactroban to the wound should help prevent infection. And a large dose of TLC:hugs.

Agree with everyone above, I am an RN , important to keep wound moist for best wound healing, flush it with saline ( Walgreens wound wash) and then spray with Vetrycin, apply triple antibiotic ointment and cover with Kerlix or roll gauze loosely, (it's the neck so be light -handed). I know it's a lot of products and running around but wound management is key. Also, keep the duck warm, inside ,if possible, this will help in the survival of the duck.

Chlorhexidene, Betadine, Vetericyn, or saline are all good for cleaning the wound. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment are good to coat the wound with after cleaning twice a day. How is the duck acting? Can he stand and walk? Has the bleeding stopped? Flour or corn starch are good to stop bleeding. Keep him separated in a quiet dim room in a basket or crate. Offer water when he is able to drink and swallow. If spyou feel that antibiotics are necessary, go to Tractor Supply and look for Fish Mox on the shelf. Dosage is 250 mg twice a day for 7 days.

Back
Top Bottom