HELP! Need ideas to get my coop larger!

Altonafamily

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 3, 2012
Bellingham, WA
I have a large dog run at 19ft x 12ft for my 6 ladies, 228 sqft My new found chicken math tells me that means lots more birds can be housed here (If my husband caves . . . )
BUT my little coop is only 5ft x 3ft. I started off with only 4 birds so it would have been ok. Then I caught the chiken fever. . . and along with the 6 five month olds, , I just purchased 2 more babes yesterday
yippiechickie.gif

They don't use the coop at night they prefer to roost on the bars I have angled on the fencing. But I am worried about the winter getting cold on them. We are in Western Washington and the daily rain hasn't fazed them, but when it gets down the the mid 30s I think they'll want to get into a warm home. I want to keep most (if not all!) of what I worked hard at building, but need some great ideas on how to do that while still expanding the coop to 30-40 sq ft. (and yes I know that since my coop is in the run that takes away from my 228 sqft) I know you guys will have some creative ideas for me to work with!! HELP!~

Well, since you want 30-40 sq feet of space, I would build on to make your coop be 7 feet by 5 feet since it is already 5 feet by 3feet to get 35 sq ft of space. You would only have to build on in one direction that way. Take and get a bigger piece of tin to be the roof. Say 8 ft by 6 ft or so. You are going to have to take off one of the sides, I would take off the five foot side shown in the last pic. Move it out farther. Add 4 feet of boarding to the 3 feet sides and then nail the 5 foot side back on. For the floor/bottom, take off the 3 ft long white boards and replace them with 7 feet boards. Do the same with the 3 ft white boards near the roof line. Replace the floor board that is 5 ft by 3ft with a board that is 7ft by 5 ft. Put on the new larger tin roof. I think I got that sorted out in my mind right...maybe. I hope this helps. I know how the chicken fever is. With this method you could use what you already have. I would take the roof that is there now after adding a new roof and make a "chicken porch" for the chickens out of it. Make a wood frame and put the tin on it. It will work as more space for the chickens to get out of the weather.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom