help needed- bloody chicks (anal area) pictures attached- not easy to look at- bloody pictures- any

quiltchick

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Central NJ
This morning I noticed 3 of 4 of my leghorn chicks had what I thought were new little wounds from pecking. I removed 2 non leghorn chicks from the cage and left the leghorns inside to rest. During the day I did not notice any new blood-thought I solved the problem. Just now I went to check them again and there was heavier bleeding on 2. I was shocked to see what I have taken the pictures of here.

It is me- I am sorry for the huge scary pictures I just posted- I never posted a picture here before and these are not pleasant to look at.

The first 2 pictures are the same bird. The 3rd picture is a second bird and the last picture is a 3rd bird.

This morning all 3 were just like the last- just a bit red.

I am worried abut these little igrls as well as the other 12 babies that I may have infected if this is something contagious. As well as my 11 grown ups.

I am afraid I could have spread something as I travel from one group to the next all day.

I am very upset to say the least. Any help appreciated.

I just read what I was supposed to read before posting to emergencies- sorry. I am going to try and answer the questions you have listed. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

I am including one more picture of the four leghorns right now- their behavior is normal, they are crazy leghorns. They do not like attention although I do handle them.

They were outside in a very small confined area for the first time yesterday and the day before, so they had grass, which was new to them. Up until now they only had chick food with the antibiotic and mealy worms.

I am not sure of their age as I bought them on March 23rd, as 'aged baby chicks.' I am thinking they may be 5 weeks old.

What it looks like to me is a protrusion in the anal area on the first bird the opened up (looks like a slight tear in the skin) and on the second bleeding one that did not open. The others look like pecking issues to me, although I am quite new to this.

I have 2 other chicks of the same age, comets, in with them. One of the comets has a bit of blood in the area - the other does not. I see them all eating. they dive for the mealy worms. they are quite lively.

My first thought when I saw the pics was a bad case of cocci. Since they're lively like typical Leghorns, that rules out cocci. They mustve been picking/pecking due to the overcrowding in a small area, perhaps a pecking order issue as well. As far as the protrusion injury is concerned, clean it up as best as you can and spray Blu-Kote on the area. It will disinfect the wound as well as help camoflage/prevent picking/pecking the area.

Thank you. What would you use to clean it up? I will go to Agway in the morning and get the blue coat. Feed stores around here close early.

I have the 6 birds in a large rabbit cage right now. I was going to bring them into the large outdoor pen with the slightly older chicks as the weather allows. Now I really cannot, as the other birds are sure to peck at them.

I will need to see what I can do to give them more safe room.

Thank you for your help, I do appreciate it.

Not contagious...more likely that the chicks are pecking each other...once they get a small blood spot chickens will keep pecking and pecking sometimes to the point where they will kill and eat each other. Chickens peck at anything red. Make sure to cover their wounds in Blue kote or something similar. It hides the wounds from each other...i would think they need a larger brooder...ASAP.

Last edited:
We spray the area with dr. Naylors and then separate from the other chicks for a couple of weeks so it can heal. They will tend to keep pecking at it otherwise. We've had this problem in the past I think when we've had too many chicks in a brooder. After your chick heals you can put it back with the others and all should be well. Don't be surprised if the chick also turns around and pecks itself as we'll. I guess it hurts so they just do that. Good Luck!

Since I have 5 chicks that are bleeding to varying degrees ( only 1 is not at all) are you thinking I need to separate all of these wounded from each other?
WOW- not sure how to do that. I think I need a better brooder system.

Do you have a garage?when they were little I put up pieces of paneling to make a square.
Maybe sectioning off into quadrants for each girl.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom