Help PLEASE!!!!

corbyzmom

Chirping
May 12, 2015
Auxvasse, Mo
this is copied and pasted from a FB group, but I got nothing on it. I really need help please!!!
Read from the bottom up (sorry).

Questions please!!! So I’m taking the stool samples to the vet in the morning and they said the test should take about 10 minutes. If it is Coccidiosis, and I pick up Corid to treat them, could I still potentially save them? Only one has started with the foamy yellow poop. We have had some cecal poop and some diarrhea but nothing like what Cosmo has today. And can I use a pump sprayer with bleach or diluted bleach to spray my coop and run down and bleach the feeders and waterers (with chickens somewhere else of course) to clean to Coccidiosis from their area? Please help!! I’m beside myself right now

Edit - Update: I went ahead and called the vet. I’m gonna take in some poo samples from my flock in the morning and have it tested to make sure I get them the right stuff so I can treat them immediately. I’m absolutely terrified that something is going to wipeout my whole flock of sweet babies

My sweet little Cosmo just started with yellow foamy poop today. No one else has them. Should I get Corid from the vet and start there? Or am I way off base? Help! She’s one of my faves and I don’t want to lose any of them ❤️❤️

I’m sure @casportpony will be by soon.

I don’t know if your vet stocks Corid which is the usual and effective treatment for coccidiosis.
It is readily available at your local feed store.
You do not need a prescription for it.
Just ask someone where it is and they will put it in your hand.
Treat your whole flock.

While you are there get some other essentials like poultry nutridrench, some syringes for dosing ( always handy to have), electrolytes...every time I go to the feed store I try to add to my chicken emergency kit.

It’s always good to have a fecal run if you have a vet that will do it, and if you have a vet who will treat chickens you are Super lucky.

Had a kitten treated for coccidiosis 2 weeks ago. They gave him Albon ( a sulfa drug/ antibiotic) I don’t know if it is used in birds.

Thank you. The vet said they pretty well had something to treat anything the fecal showed unless it was something bizarre and in that case it could be ordered in. They’re doing the fecal test for $17, they just told me to collect many samples in the morning, not just the hen with the foamy poo. They do have Corid in stock. They also told me if anyone’s condition changes or worsens throughout the night to call them and we can bring them in. Could I find the other things you’re suggesting at Orscheln’s? Orscheln’s does not have Corid. They have on Wazine (is that right?) in stock. I’ve gone ahead and removed anything from the coop/run that are non-essentials and have given it all a good bleach douching. I plan on buying Ammonia and using that as well. I know I will also need to clean and disinfect my coop and run, but when would I do that? After the five days of treatment or on the first day and again after the fifth? I’m just so beside myself. I pray nothing happens to my girls and if it is indeed Coccididous that everyone survives it. I’m just heartbroken. Thank you so much for your advice.

I’m sure @casportpony will be by soon.

I don’t know if your vet stocks Corid which is the usual and effective treatment for coccidiosis.
It is readily available at your local feed store.
You do not need a prescription for it.
Just ask someone where it is and they will put it in your hand.
Treat your whole flock.

While you are there get some other essentials like poultry nutridrench, some syringes for dosing ( always handy to have), electrolytes...every time I go to the feed store I try to add to my chicken emergency kit.

It’s always good to have a fecal run if you have a vet that will do it, and if you have a vet who will treat chickens you are Super lucky.

Had a kitten treated for coccidiosis 2 weeks ago. They gave him Albon ( a sulfa drug/ antibiotic) I don’t know if it is used in birds.

I have often witnessed a yellow foamy poop and nothing untoward has come of it and my birds have not been treated for coccidiosis. I'm not saying that a foamy yellow poop is normal but just that there can be a large variation in what normal can be and one foamy yellow poop without any other symptoms is not something to get overly concerned about. By all means get it tested and/or treat with Corid if necessary and of course remain observant for other symptoms, but try to keep some perspective on this.
Coccidia are everywhere and trying to eradicate them is futile. Animals build up resistance to them as they grow up, but if their immune system is compromised or they are exposed to a strain that they have never encountered before (for instance if they are moved to a new home), then they may show symptoms and an overgrowth may occur in their intestines which needs treatment to control it until their bodies can respond and keep it in check themselves.
Try not to panic. You are doing the right thing in getting a sample tested and that is a reasonable price for the service. Wazine is a wormer and will not be effective against Coccidia. Corid is usually in the cattle section, which may be why you didn't find it.

The original ones I got are about 4-6 months old. He didn’t know ‍♀️

I’ve since added a few 2 and 3 month olds and three that were hatched first of the year. None are all that old. No one is laying, which I suppose could be the Coccidiosis if that’s the case. Age and heat too, of course.

How old are these chickens?

Please say you aired out the coop after cleaning with bleach today.

Everything @rebrascora said is true and correct.

Even if you have coccidiosis in a (?) chick - or grown chicken,( still unclear), you are catching it at the beginning.
You’re on top of this @corbyzmom , and you’ll have an answer tomorrow.

Cleaning can wait until you know what you’re dealing with.

Be cautious with chemicals as chickens have sensitive respiratory systems and be careful for yourself.
Wear gloves, use a mask.

Never EVER mix bleach and ammonia.
*which includes never apply ammonia to an area where bleach had been previously applied but isn’t dry yet.

I checked up and down every isle, but I definitely could have overlooked it.

All of my girls (and a few surprise guys) are new here. I’ve only had chickens about 2.5 weeks. I failed by not quarantining new ones (yes, I know. Stupid rookie mistake) and so I have three “sets” from three different locations all in the last few weeks.

I’m really trying to be positive. I really, really don’t wanna lose any of them.

I have often witnessed a yellow foamy poop and nothing untoward has come of it and my birds have not been treated for coccidiosis. I'm not saying that a foamy yellow poop is normal but just that there can be a large variation in what normal can be and one foamy yellow poop without any other symptoms is not something to get overly concerned about. By all means get it tested and/or treat with Corid if necessary and of course remain observant for other symptoms, but try to keep some perspective on this.
Coccidia are everywhere and trying to eradicate them is futile. Animals build up resistance to them as they grow up, but if their immune system is compromised or they are exposed to a strain that they have never encountered before (for instance if they are moved to a new home), then they may show symptoms and an overgrowth may occur in their intestines which needs treatment to control it until their bodies can respond and keep it in check themselves.
Try not to panic. You are doing the right thing in getting a sample tested and that is a reasonable price for the service. Wazine is a wormer and will not be effective against Coccidia. Corid is usually in the cattle section, which may be why you didn't find it.

Noted. Thank you. I pulled everything out that I treated with bleach tonight to my paved driveway to treat. Rinsed all the bleach off after about half an hour. It’s sitting out there to dry. A good ways away from the birds. I haven’t used anything inside my coop or run except some deodorizer for the stink.

Everything @rebrascora said is true and correct.

Even if you have coccidiosis in a (?) chick - or grown chicken,( still unclear), you are catching it at the beginning.
You’re on top of this @corbyzmom , and you’ll have an answer tomorrow.

Cleaning can wait until you know what you’re dealing with.

Be cautious with chemicals as chickens have sensitive respiratory systems and be careful for yourself.
Wear gloves, use a mask.

Never EVER mix bleach and ammonia.
*which includes never apply ammonia to an area where bleach had been previously applied but isn’t dry yet.

Back
Top Bottom