Help! Red poop?

the.whole.crew

Chirping
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
One of my 6-week-old pullets pooped this out. I’ve yet to figure out who, but could someone please help?

1EFD53B8-6ED7-4829-ADEE-976D2638D004.jpeg

You've got cocci... need to treat with Corid in the water and make sure shavings are dry and water stays poo free.... since cocci is in EVERY single chicken poo... and only an issue when allowed to bloom out of control... usually in warm humid conditions. Once, my shaving were MUCH wetter underneath than they appeared to be on top. Corid can be found at feed stores, usually in the cattle section. If it isn't labeled for chickens... many on here will know the proper dose.

Even once you've seen a bloody poo... it may not be every time even fro the same chick. You don't need to figure out who. Treat them all and make sure their is NO other drinking source available. Pleas note Corid works by blocking thiamine to starve out the cocci and slow it's growth while the chicks system gains some immunity to fight it off better.

Sometimes you can tell who is feeling the worst because they stand around kinda puffed up, head pulled in. It CAN be deadly... but caught early shouldn't be a problem. They are all exposed don't separate them.

Hope this helps and good luck! :fl

You've got cocci... need to treat with Corid in the water and make sure shavings are dry and water stays poo free.... since cocci is in EVERY single chicken poo... and only an issue when allowed to bloom out of control... usually in warm humid conditions. Once, my shaving were MUCH wetter underneath than they appeared to be on top. Corid can be found at feed stores, usually in the cattle section. If it isn't labeled for chickens... many on here will know the proper dose.

Even once you've seen a bloody poo... it may not be every time even fro the same chick. You don't need to figure out who. Treat them all and make sure their is NO other drinking source available. Pleas note Corid works by blocking thiamine to starve out the cocci and slow it's growth while the chicks system gains some immunity to fight it off better.

Sometimes you can tell who is feeling the worst because they stand around kinda puffed up, head pulled in. It CAN be deadly... but caught early shouldn't be a problem. They are all exposed don't separate them.

Hope this helps and good luck! :fl
Thank you so much! So it’s okay if they’re together? I just cleaned the bedding and I’ll go get the medicine as soon as I can. Just treat them all? I’m so nervous

Thank you so much! So it’s okay if they’re together? I just cleaned the bedding and I’ll go get the medicine as soon as I can. Just treat them all? I’m so nervous
Yes.. treat them all. They have all been exposed. The one with bloody poop just had the weakest immune system and showed symptoms first. The other may or may not show symptoms but that's OK... treat.

And be SURE not to supplement ANY vitamins during treatment otherwise it defeats the purpose.

Thanks everyone for the help! We drove all over the place and found some Corid about an hour away. We’re on our way home now to give it to them. Do you think we’ll be in time?

Back
Top Bottom