Help! Rooster has been a nasty bird!!

ChickyMama6

In the Brooder
May 9, 2018
Darien, GA
I'm gonna kill me a rooster! Not really...but maybe...that little pervert tried doing the nasty yesterday with one of my girls...I get home today and he goes crazy crowing (I think he thinks he's a dog...when someone pulls up or walks out of the house he goes nuts) but anyway....he starts his crowing and about that time I heard one of my girls making a lot of noise....Ol' Albert the Perv had her pinned down and shaking his tail feathers and she was just a squawking trying to get out of there! My question/concern....my girl's won't be laying until mid/late November, is there anything I need to be worried about with him being a nasty bird? Lol...I'm sorry!

He's being pretty normal. Males mature much younger than females and he will continue trying to mate with them regardless of their age. You could try to find him a home with some mature girls or in a soup pot, or find some mature girls of your own to add to the flock for him.

He's doing what roosters do. There's a few basic routes to help with this. First, there's the Crock-Pot. Not everyone finds this the best. Second, re-home, not always ideal either. Third is deal with it. It's what roosters do. Or fourth, you can separate him where he can see and be near the rest of the flock but not have direct access. Fencing off a section of the run or a secondary coop next to the main. If you go this route it has to be something he can live in for probably a couple of months until his hormones calm down. So food water and shelter are a must.

my girl's won't be laying until mid/late November,
So all your birds are about 4 months old?
If so, he's doing what all young cockerels do, they want to dominate and mate.
What you are seeing is normal.
They become sexually mature(not perverts) at a younger age than pullets.
Some cockerels are overzealous and might be better off kept in a separate pen until the girls are laying to avoid them becoming over-stressing or injured.

If you are new to chickens(am guessing yes) and just want some eggs,
you don't need a male in your flock....so dinner is an excellent option, if you're up for slaughtering him. All my young cockerels are on the grill or in the freezer by about 12-16 weeks old.

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

All good points @aart. Behaviors, feeding and disease are different depending on age.
Sometimes I'll go to answer a question when someone asks about their chicks, only to find out later they have 2 year old birds. Or they ask about their hens when the birds are actually a week old. They may be females but they're still chicks - not hens for a long while yet.

Back
Top Bottom