Help!! <Seller Replied>......is this dark enough?-PICS!- w/ link

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bleenstar, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Bleenstar

Bleenstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Southern California
    Just wondering if this dark enough to be considered cuckoo marans eggs. I bought them from ebay. Thanks Guys [​IMG]

w/ flash
    [​IMG]

w/out flash

[​IMG]

What color scale would these be?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've got some RIRs that lay almost that dark.

3. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

From what I've read posted on BYC, marans eggs come in different shades. There's actually a color scale that breeders go by. I don't have marans, so I won't even try to say yea or nay on your eggs. If you got them from a seller with a good feedback score, you should be safe.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I know they start out laying darker in the beginning of their laying cycle and they get lighter and lighter as time goes on.

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I am sorry those are not dark enough to be marans even poor hatchery stock I would ask for your money back and not breed from the birds that hatch or just pitch the whole clutch if you were planing on breeding.

These are some eggs from my cuckoo marans from the very end of the laying cycle when eggs were almost at their lightest.

[​IMG]

Sorry about this bad deal,
    Henry

6. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    I don't know for sure, but all the pure maran eggs I saw were alot darker. There is a color scale you can use. I think Maran eggs are suposed to be 7 to 8 and those eggs look like an 4. Like I said i don't know for sure, but I would check it out.

Here is the Maran club site.
    http://marans-club.chez-alice.fr/echllang.htm#echelle

7. Bleenstar

Bleenstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Southern California
  8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I would let him know the eggs were not at all as dark as advertised and that they do not even register as marans on the color scale at least. If you ask for your money back and he says no then leave him negative feed back

Henry

9. Crest Acres Girl

Crest Acres Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern California
    compaired to the eggs he advertised...the ones he sent you is very light. Also, compaired to that chart yellow dragon sent you...it doesnt even look like a 4! Thats my opinion. The cuckoo maran eggs I got was at least a 4.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2008
  10. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I'm going to say that in this situation, you should remember that this seller is not like most of the BYCers [​IMG] He's probably not going to give you your money back based on your opinion that the eggs aren't dark enough. He's going to expect you to wait until they hatch to prove what breed they are. JMHO. Not everyone is as nice as we folks here on BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by