Help! Sick chicken

AmyP716

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Michigan
So just noticed today my 14 year old chicken is running in a circle shaking her head and her mouth is open a little. I was thinking gape worm. I looked down her throat and it looks ok. I didn't see anything stuck in it. Anyone have any ideas or medicine I can give her. I'm about to go to the tractor supply to see if there some medicine I can get.

Tractor Supply isn't the place to go for a health issue diagnosis and treatment. That sort of reminds me of the old olden days when a mother would automatically treat every health issue with a dose of castor oil (thinking every health issue involved constipation)

Is this chicken actually fourteen years old? Not a typo? Have you looked into her ears? There may be something stuck in there. Pull the ear flaps back and look with a strong flashlight. If you see anything in there, pull it out with tweezers.

It's possible she is developing neurological issues in her old age, if she isn't really fourteen months. You might be able to treat her with vitamin E and very small amount of selenium. If she's fourteen months old, she may have swallowed a toxic bug or one that has stung her tongue. This pain can result in the behavior you describe. Look carefully at the tongue for any discoloration. Poison insect bites would make the tongue color grey in the stung area.

The treatment would be children's Benedryl, .1ml once only now. And once more in 24 hours. Then no more as it can overdose.

As you can see, none of these treatments are found at TSC. You get them from your local pharmacy or vitamin shop.

So just noticed today my 14 year old chicken is running in a circle shaking her head and her mouth is open a little.

:bow My chickens started dying off after about 3 years, so I guess if you have managed to keep a chicken alive for 14 years, nothing I have to say would compare to what you probably have already done. Hope your chicken gets better.

:bow My chickens started dying off after about 3 years, so I guess if you have managed to keep a chicken alive for 14 years, nothing I have to say would compare to what you probably have already done. Hope your chicken gets better.
Thank you. I just feel bad for her. She looks so sad. I know she's had a good life but if I can help her I want to try.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 1
Tractor Supply isn't the place to go for a health issue diagnosis and treatment. That sort of reminds me of the old olden days when a mother would automatically treat every health issue with a dose of castor oil (thinking every health issue involved constipation) Is this chicken actually fourteen years old? Not a typo? Have you looked into her ears? There may be something stuck in there. Pull the ear flaps back and look with a strong flashlight. If you see anything in there, pull it out with tweezers. It's possible she is developing neurological issues in her old age, if she isn't really fourteen months. You might be able to treat her with vitamin E and very small amount of selenium. If she's fourteen months old, she may have swallowed a toxic bug or one that has stung her tongue. This pain can result in the behavior you describe. Look carefully at the tongue for any discoloration. Poison insect bites would make the tongue color grey in the stung area. The treatment would be children's Benedryl, .1ml once only now. And once more in 24 hours. Then no more as it can overdose. As you can see, none of these treatments are found at TSC. You get them from your local pharmacy or vitamin shop.
Tractor Supply isn't the place to go for a health issue diagnosis and treatment. That sort of reminds me of the old olden days when a mother would automatically treat every health issue with a dose of castor oil (thinking every health issue involved constipation) Is this chicken actually fourteen years old? Not a typo? Have you looked into her ears? There may be something stuck in there. Pull the ear flaps back and look with a strong flashlight. If you see anything in there, pull it out with tweezers. It's possible she is developing neurological issues in her old age, if she isn't really fourteen months. You might be able to treat her with vitamin E and very small amount of selenium. If she's fourteen months old, she may have swallowed a toxic bug or one that has stung her tongue. This pain can result in the behavior you describe. Look carefully at the tongue for any discoloration. Poison insect bites would make the tongue color grey in the stung area. The treatment would be children's Benedryl, .1ml once only now. And once more in 24 hours. Then no more as it can overdose. As you can see, none of these treatments are found at TSC. You get them from your local pharmacy or vitamin shop.

Back
Top Bottom