emccoy

Hatching
Jul 22, 2023
Hello, we have a hen that is not herself. She’s just over a year old and hasn’t yet laid an egg, but is usually otherwise quite active and happy. Yesterday we noticed her comb was limp with a bit of blue on the ends, she is lethargic and just stands there with her eyes closed. She no longer eats but is still drinking. I’ve checked for a stuck egg and couldn’t feel anything in her vent, but her bottom feels hard. Her poop is also quite runny and white with some “normal” colouration to it. I did not notice any worms. We have moved her in our house now but are at a loss for what to do. Any ideas what she could have? The rest of the flock seem fine this morning.

Hello, we have a hen that is not herself. She’s just over a year old and hasn’t yet laid an egg, but is usually otherwise quite active and happy. Yesterday we noticed her comb was limp with a bit of blue on the ends, she is lethargic and just stands there with her eyes closed. She no longer eats but is still drinking. I’ve checked for a stuck egg and couldn’t feel anything in her vent, but her bottom feels hard. Her poop is also quite runny and white with some “normal” colouration to it. I did not notice any worms. We have moved her in our house now but are at a loss for what to do. Any ideas what she could have? The rest of the flock seem fine this morning.
If her bottom is hard I would suspect that she could have a egg still stuck in her. It could also be a lash egg or a mass from internal laying. I would give her some Epson salt baths and some extra calcium. Make sure she's eating something, even if its just some scrambled eggs or treats.

If her bottom is hard I would suspect that she could have a egg still stuck in her. It could also be a lash egg or a mass from internal laying. I would give her some Epson salt baths and some extra calcium. Make sure she's eating something, even if its just some scrambled eggs or treats.
She’s had a bath and some calcium, but won’t even eat tasty treats (like mealworms). I’ve also noticed her crop is a little soft, but don’t notice a smell or any other crop related symptoms

She’s had a bath and some calcium, but won’t even eat tasty treats (like mealworms). I’ve also noticed her crop is a little soft, but don’t notice a smell or any other crop related symptoms
If she wont eat anything I would consider using a needless syringe to give her some food. When was the last time she ate? You mentioned that you could feel her crop. If she hasn't eaten it should be empty.

If she wont eat anything I would consider using a needless syringe to give her some food. When was the last time she ate? You mentioned that you could feel her crop. If she hasn't eaten it should be empty.
She ate some last night, but not enough for her crop to be filled as much as it is, unless the water she’s been drinking can fill it?

It sounds like she has some reproductive disorder. Salpingitis with internally laid egg masses can lead to egg yolk peritonitis, ascites (water belly,) and eventually death. A lot depends on how much you want to do to her, spend, and if you have the time to care for her. Blue tips on her comb could be from not enough oxygen to her heart or stress, but check to see if they get redder. You can try some calcium with vitamin d for a few days, but if she doesn’t have an egg in there, an antibiotic such as AquaMox amoxicillin may be helpful to give for infection. Tube feeding can be done, and once it is learned, takes just a few minutes twice a day. Or you could just watch her, make her comfortable, and let her do what she feels like. Sorry about your hen.

Back
Top Bottom