Thechickentrainer1999

Songster
5 Years
Jul 30, 2018
North Carolina
My chickens just moved into their new coop about 5 days ago and I noticed one tried to eat a nail/staple yesterday and I'm worried one may have eatin one already. I used a magnet but I guess I didn't get them all. Can someone please help me and tell me what signs to look for if any of them did swallow one. Here is a picture of what it looks like. Is it possible they could digest this? I'm so scared something could happen. I love them so much.

Attachments

• 20181025_162102.jpg
    20181025_162102.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 83
Unfortunately birds will sometimes eat stuff they shouldn't. Sometimes things pass through, sometimes things remain in the crop and sometimes the object will cause problems. You bird will get a big bloated crop and will be listless and stop eating if it has a problem. A vet would be needed.

We live on an old farm, and there's stuff all over the place from decades of careless people not picking stuff up and just accidental stuff lost. Most chickens are smart enough to not eat stuff like that, otherwise I wouldn't be able to keep chickens here.

Unfortunately birds will sometimes eat stuff they shouldn't. Sometimes things pass through, sometimes things remain in the crop and sometimes the object will cause problems. You bird will get a big bloated crop and will be listless and stop eating if it has a problem. A vet would be needed.

We live on an old farm, and there's stuff all over the place from decades of careless people not picking stuff up and just accidental stuff lost. Most chickens are smart enough to not eat stuff like that, otherwise I wouldn't be able to keep chickens here.
So far everything seems okay with them. Hopefully and prayerfully they didn't swallow any. My older ones are pretty smart and don't mess with stuff like that usually but it's my 7 month olds that do.

Do you mean lifeless?

Do they eat glass? I just broke a sliding door glass outside. Thousands of little pieces. I spent an hour or more vacuuming up every piece I could see, gravel and all.
Yes, they may peck at glass. I would go over the area again juest to make sure you got it all. I live on an old farm where people have thrown away old broken bottles and dishes for 110 years, and I have to collect small pieces of glass near my coop in a coffee can. Every year more works up to the surface.

Yes, they may peck at glass. I would go over the area again juest to make sure you got it all. I live on an old farm where people have thrown away old broken bottles and dishes for 110 years, and I have to collect small pieces of glass near my coop in a coffee can. Every year more works up to the surface.

Yeah I'm definitely going to do that tomorrow morning before they get there..

I installed outside lights on my new coop this week and my drill fell with a screw on the bit. I forgot that a screw was on it for a couple of minutes. Then I remembered and started to panic as my 10 week old chicks were in the pen with me. I started to look where it dropped and couldn't find it. I figured one ate it and shes doomed.
I ran to get my magnetic rake, hoping for the best. Well I didn't find it with the magnet. I kept looking without the magnet and found it further from the spot where the drill dropped. A chick spotted it the same time as I. I swatted the chick and I got it. What a relief!!!
You need to be very careful with small sharp items. I should of locked em in the coop while installing the lights. But lesson learned. And lights are working fine. 20181027_064723.jpg . GC

Back
Top Bottom