Help- wasp nest near coop

mhay1

Chirping
Jul 3, 2016
Hi,
We found a growing wasp nest (paper wasp?) very close to our chicken coop and run. It is inside our grandchildrens playhouse which is near the chickens. I've read a few previous posts on using regular Dawn liquid dish soap with water to spray on the nest to kill them. Does anyone know what is the ratio of Dawn detergent to water is and does this really kill them? My husband was going to do this at night to prevent getting stung. Will this still work at night? Does anyone have any other suggestions to getting rid of the wasps and nest or is the dish soap our safest and most effective choice ?
Thanks so much! Maggie

Can your chickens reach/peck at the wasps nest? Because if not you could just rent a blow torch, spray everything nearby with water, get out your go pro, film yourself blow torching the wasps nest and make millions (hundreds/25 cents) on YouTube. That's what I would do at least.

Can your chickens reach/peck at the wasps nest? Because if not you could just rent a blow torch, spray everything nearby with water, get out your go pro, film yourself blow torching the wasps nest and make millions (hundreds/25 cents) on YouTube. That's what I would do at least.
:lau

I leave them alone unless they are an actual threat. They eat pest insects like the aphids that attack the garden.

The wasp nest is inside our grandchildrens playhouse where they play (blow torch is not an option unfortunately) and we don't want them getting stung or anyone else! We don't want to use a wasp spray as I heard that can be bad for the chickens. However it is not in the coop, just nearby. So would it be safe still to use the wasp spray? It is about 5-10 feet away from where the chickens are.
Thanks

Just make sure the wind is blowing away from the chicken coop before you spray.

Or let the chickens out and shoo them to a far corner of the yard before you spray.

I leave my wasps nests alone generally. Our 3 and 5 year old check on nests frequently to watch them grow. I do destroy nest in high traffic areas, especially if colony overly cranky. Generally, I wait until after dark then go out and smash wasps and nest with a shoe or piece of wood. Another approach used last year was a shop vac where wasps where sucked up then a blade used to scrape nest off attachment point

Getting rid of the nest what we want to do. We would spray at night so as not to get stung. Chickens will be in their coop which is about 10 ft. from where the nest is. Coop door is closed, but it has vents open for ventilation. Is it still safe to spray if wind is blowing away from coop??

Back
Top Bottom