Help. What is wrong with my hen

tamarf

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2016

Hi All,

Thanks to anyone who can help. I have read thru common health issues and can not find this problem. I got 5 grown birds a couple of weeks ago. I do not know there age. The 2 RIR have both been laying for me on a regular bases. The 2 bar rocks have never laid that I know of. I free range my birds so not positive they don't lay. I thought maybe it was because they were old that they never laid.

A couple of days ago I notice the one bar rock was kinda listless. She left the coop in the morning and went straight to the grape vines where they hang out all day. She did not go to the area where I put food out like the other hens do. She is moving slow and as far as I can tell not eating much. Today I notice that her eye is half closed. I will post a picture. Since I picked her up I have always thought her comb was very light but thought maybe that was just what she looked like. I am obviously very new at this. I notice tonight when I shut her up in the coop that her tail feathers where hanging down. She does not appear to see out of the one eye.

Any know what she might have? Should I isolated her she sleeps with and is in the same area as the other girls? Any information that you can share is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

After posting I realize that I do not have a good picture so I will take some more tomorrow is it will help.

Yikes, your hen doesn't look to good. I would consider maybe taking her into the vet. This is what a usual barred rock hen is supposed to look like...

Back
Top Bottom