1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! What to do with a 2 hr old baby chick rejected by Mama. Do they eat yet??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by foxysis, Aug 12, 2014.

1. foxysis

foxysis New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    Hi, I have read all your posts and am so grateful. Right now I have her sitting with me in my bra to keep her warm and happy. Does this baby eat at this young age yet? I have the egg she came out of with the sac in it. Should I keep that for her & try to feed it to her? Or just use egg yolk [​IMG] Do I give her some water out of a dropper also if she won't take it? I have had baby chicks before but I've never had one straight from the egg that I had to take care of. I am a little scared! Plus we are supposed to go camping tomorrow. UGH!!
    Thanks for any help. Oh also she doesn't really walk. I am assuming that's normal since she's so tiny. I am definitely getting my bandana to try that trick. I LOVE this site and have gone on it so many times!! Y'all are amazing [​IMG]

2. MarieCallandar

MarieCallandar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2014
    Utah
    Give her a yolk to eat and the dropper is way good idea

3. ktn65

ktn65 Out Of The Brooder

Welcome to BYC.

I would think unless there is something wrong with the chick, it does not have to eat or drink anything for a day or two. I would offer the egg yolk and water, but not force it.

Just my two cents from what I have read here.

4. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    She needs to stay warm. Can you set up a brooder - a plastic tub with pine shavings and a red heat lamp? She doesn't need to eat right away but does need water. She should be able to drink from a waterer, maybe a shallow bowl. Put some rocks or marbles in it so she doesn't stumble into it and drown.

Can you have someone watch her while you're camping? At least stop by your house every day?

You can buy chick started, she'll start eating that within a day or so.

Chicks really need friends, can you get a couple of extra babies?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by