Help! Wild Peachick + Night Terrors!

ChrisG1

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2018
Howdy everyone,

So in late June, I came into possession of a wild born peachick. This was due to the mother and siblings being devoured by a coyote. How she survived...I do not know.

Matching up to pictures, I'd say she was maybe 3-7 days old when got her. Loved her, cared for her. Ran to her when she cried. Dewormed her. Nursed her day and night because...well...I didn't really understand that although I pecked at food and water and got her doing it, that she needed reminders at every meal...red alert occurred when she stopped crying and wouldn't stand. By the grace of God, she is now gaining weight, her second or third set of feathers are being pushed out by another set. And she is showing beautiful green/blue coloring on her neck, and crown.

I have one tiny issue....at about 7:30pm, she will wake up in a terror. Hop off her bed, down her steps and scream and pace the door until I open it. At which point she will then follow me around crying. When I sit down, she will cry and pace around my feet. Then stop, crane her neck up at me and cry while moving her beak. She has tried to fly up to me. I try holding her which works for about.....oh 1.5 mins. Then she is full freak out mode until she can perch on my arm. Then...1 min later full freak out mode until in my lap. And this just continues.

I have stopped all medicated feed, she hasn't had wazine her system for months, she was on a sulfa/trimeth antibiotic course while recovering but that is done. She is on gamebird/showbird starter for peafowl, guinea hens and quail. No human food. Hard boiled eggs. And I've immediately suspended the fenbendazole treatment. She has clean food and water daily. Her space is cleaned daily. I let her follow me around most of the day. When she gets tired, I close her bedroom door. When I go outside, she hop hop hop follows me.

Everythinggggg kosher. Until 7:30pm. Turning on extra lights = no effect. nightlight = no effect. no lights = dear god. music = nope. lion king = works for 2 mins.

What could be going on? I know she was born wild, and let me tell you, nature rules over nurture. She does things I haven't taught her yet. And I know I'm mommy. I've researched...I've tried making my arm look like a wing for her at night....She knows I'm mommy. Is she having flashbacks of the night everyone else in her family disappeared and is panicking?

This just started up 3 days ago. Please help :(

20180915_203625.jpg

Attachments

• 20180915_203904.jpg
    20180915_203904.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 10
Actually, intriguing thought. Let's say I somehow triggered the weaning process too early. How can I reverse that?

Update: So, I tried a multi stemmed approach. First thing I realized is yes...I think I have loved her and treated her a little too precious. At night, after her crying it out, she has now seemed to mature. My baby is growing ups! It was good because I'm seeing some more independence. The next thing I found out is that at night, she isn't sleeping. She would perch on my leg...arm...shoulder...she even conquered me rolling around...and would keep watch. I find her tired during the day and sleeping while I watch over her. I'm now attempting to realign her wake-sleep cycle.

I thought so too! I once again am waking up a very tired and drained parent haha.

So I tried a few things. She will go right to sleep if I take a very wide stool, place it next to my bed, put her bed on it, her fall blanket, then her, then a laundry basket that is a deep dark brown and mimics a wide weave basket over her with a blackout curtain on 2 sides. She slept for 2 hours then started crying which broke my heart. So when I lifted it to make sure she was ok...

Hop
Hop
Flap

She is on the bed coming up to me, lays down and peeps while inching closer. During the night, she changed spots to my legs, perch on my arm, chest, and more.

Am I missing something in her diet? Its rainy season and cold up here. Should I be getting her outside more often? :(

Back
Top Bottom