help with a new bator/LG Still Air

yep Cyn, You sent two of the Buff Brahmas X Blue Orps. Haven't tried candling them yet, figured I would wait till day five or so. I just hope I can figure out what I am looking for, lol. As far as the temp I try to keep it steady between the two readings on the mercury and digital thermometers.

Here are my thoughts on the LG. I hope they help.

We started with just the incubator. Trying to stabilize the
temp with it empty was impossible.

So:
We bought the fan which evened out cold spots and helped stabilize
temps AND bought the egg turner so we wouldn' have to open it
3 times a day.

We have:
1 Digital hydrometer/thermometer inside. Usually reads 101 degrees and 50% humididty
1 Digital probe temp external thermometer which reads 99 to 100.5
1 Analog hydrometer to verify our digital hydrometer - They are same - 40 to 60
2 Analog thermometers - also same readings - 101

The more eggs the better. We have 14 buff orp eggs in it from Jody and 5 of our
own mutts.

I add water to the tray every 3 days, once humidity drops to 40.

We are on day 16 of our first hatch - Fingers are crossed.

We are $150 into this thing. Should have brought the Brinsea. We'll
know in a week how well this worked.

I really don't know how the temp changes will affect a hatch. Is it really that
critical?

Don

Temp is more important in the long run than humidity. If it must be off, it's better slightly low than too high. Too low may delay the hatch a day or two, too high can speed up the development or even kill the embryos. Humidity can go from 25-50% the first 18 days and no problems. Temp can't vary more than a degree, in general.

Any of you that use the water wiggler in an LG bator, Where do you place it with the turner in there???

Last edited:
Cyn, Tell me what you think, plz

This is what I have in the bator and the readings,

therm/hygro w/probe in water wiggler = 100.9/63%
therm/hygro no probe= 99/45%
reg therm= 96

What are my chances? Are these temps ok or should I do some adjusting?

Bobbie, sounds like the temps need to be a little higher. They need to be 101.5-102.5 in a still air, I believe. I know the adjuster thing is very sensitive in the LG. BTW, I didn't answer your question about the wiggler because, as you know, my turner is a bit different from yours and my weasel/wiggler sits on top just fine.
Is the unit that says 63% humidity inside the bator OR just its probe in the wiggler and the unit sitting OUTSIDE the bator? The reason I ask is that the 45% is perfect humidity, but over 60% is too high for this stage of incubation. If the unit is in your room, then it's reading the room humidity, not bator humidity.

everything is inside the bator, The higher humidity is the one with the probe in the wiggler. I pulled one plug out and it is at 61% now, adjusted the temp just a bit and will check again in the morning. Had the kids till nine and noone took a nap today, I am beat.

I see what I have in the morning and let you know. And I laid my wiggler across the rows kind of like you have yours, turning is still working so I got that one covered, lol

Last edited:
Ok, hmm, if that one is the AcuRite with a probe, I find them to be pretty good on humidity. One of mine is dead-on and the other one reads too low. Better low humidity the first 18 days than way too high, I think. I bet you are tired! I have to go to bed soon myself. Let me know in the morning how it goes.

Good Morning, temps this morning are:

thermo/hygro probe in wiggler - 103.1/56%
thermo/hygro no probe - 101/36%
therm supplied w/bator - 98

Back
Top Bottom