1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help with still air lil gaint 40 watt incubator (I'm New)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tennessee_chicken_lover, Mar 26, 2007.

1. tennessee_chicken_lover

tennessee_chicken_lover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    East Tennesse
    I'm New So What should The Temp. Be set to i had it pluged up all night and the temp it at 88 degrees right now i have about 40 eggs setting at room temp also. When should i put the eggs in. Thanks

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Get the temp to 101 and humidity around 50 percent relative. Do not set the eggs until it has been steady at this temp for 24 hours. You will notice once you set the eggs, the temp will drop...leave it for another 24 hours to come back to temp. Then make very small adjustments only when you are there to monitor it. These are known to go haywire with big temp fluctuations. With very small adjustments and close monitoring until you get it settled, you'll be fine. Good luck with your hatch.

Jody

3. tennessee_chicken_lover

Mar 26, 2007
    East Tennesse
    Thanks For the help I hope they all Hatch well

4. chickiemom

chickiemom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2007
    South Louisiana
    the instrustions for my little giant incubator stated to have the temp at 99.5. There should be a term. with the incubator, the 99.5 is written biggest. Also you should have the instructions too. I will reread the instructions to make sure about the temp. I know there has been alot of different temps told. I will recheck.

5. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I have a styrofoam Lil Giant too (no egg turner), but I don't think the thermometer that came with it is worth a darn. I bought a water weasel, digital thermometer, and a hygrometer from www.shilala.com (they also sell on eggbid)

Shilala's website explains the use of the water weasel:
    [http://shilala.com/weasel.html]

Hinkjc is correct about the very small adjustments part, you only need to turn the knob a tiny bit.

Stephanie (also in TN)

6. tennessee_chicken_lover

Mar 26, 2007
    East Tennesse
    Thanks everyone. Mine has the eggTurner, Are the turner any good?

Everyone here is so nice and has lots of information Thanks to everyone

7. jmofaustin

jmofaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Yes turner is good, I also leave mine at 101 and have had 100% hatches with farm fresh eggs and 50% hatch with shipped eggs.

8. tennessee_chicken_lover

Mar 26, 2007
    East Tennesse
    Quote:Thanks Jmofaustin I have About 40 Eggs i'm gonna put in when the temp gets to 101 Hope the hatch rate is good Can't Wait till 20 or 21 days

Dustin

9. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Quote:The reason for there being different temperatures being told is that there are 2 types of incubators. Still air which should be set at 101 degrees. The stratified air layers gradiate so the internal temperature of the eggs reach ~99.5. The second being circulated air, which holds a constant temp throughout.

Here's a reference:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKIncubation.html

10. tennessee_chicken_lover

Mar 26, 2007
    East Tennesse
    The Bator is Finally Set and I have 40 Eggs in it now. I can't Wait till these lil chicks hatch. It is So amazing knowing that an egg can produce so a lovely Thing. I love Chickens.

Thanks everyone, Dustin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by