Help.

SBmember

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2016
My Mallard duck isn't walking or using her legs, flaps her wings to move. I know it isn't bumble foot, I have check very carefully, we have another female who is perfectly fine. They are about 3+ years old. This just started today.

welcome-byc.gif
So sorry to hear this. Is she trying to get up at all? I would keep her confined so she can't hurt herself anymore and get her to a Vet if possible.

@SBmember Could she have been injured some how? something fall on her? just trying to get some info. Anything out of the ordinary where you keep her? If bottom of her feet look good did you feel all along her legs for swelling of heat which could mean injury or infection? Is she finished laying for this year or if not could she be egg bound. Having an egg pressing on nerves in the back can cause lameness.

Please more info but in the mean times a warm bath where she can get relief might help. And as @Ren2014 said keep her confined to a small area so she doesn't over exert till you figure out what's going on with her. Good food and water with Poultry vits for extra nutrients. and of course a Good vet or avian vet if at all possible.

PS does she fly off could she have been nipped by a pred and you maybe need to check for injury or clipped by a car? Look all under her feathers top and bottom if you haven't already.

What do you feed her? it could be some type of nutrient deficiency. Sometimes when they don't have enough nutrients they stop walking and drag themselves with their wings. It happened to me with one of my drakes and it turned out he had niacin deficiency. Also, make sure to be cleaning them and don't let her too long on the dirt on her belly because bacteria and bugs can get to her. For example, she might scratch herself with a rock or thorn and the next thing you know a fly or other bug can lay eggs on the injury and then it gets infected and it turns into this whole other thing. Make sure to keep her belly clean in other words. Wish you luck and really hope she gets better soon!
frow.gif

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! It was a deficiency, we went and got her what she needed. She spent some time in the house with medicated food and water. She is now back with her duck friend and she is getting better everyday, still cant completely stand fully for long periods but she is getting there! Sadly this was a "new owner error" that could have been prevented :(

Very helpfup, this is exactly what happened, I feel so bad. Still new to this site, this was supposed to be a reply to Lady507

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! It was a deficiency, we went and got her what she needed. She spent some time in the house with medicated food and water. She is now back with her duck friend and she is getting better everyday, still cant completely stand fully for long periods but she is getting there! Sadly this was a "new owner error" that could have been prevented
sad.png
We all started same as you
hugs.gif
at least it is a fix that shows improvement pretty quick. and Now you will know what to do when and if you ever have ducklings. And you can share your Knowledge with others!!

Thanks for updating.

Thank you everyone! It was a deficiency, we went and got her what she needed. She spent some time in the house with medicated food and water. She is now back with her duck friend and she is getting better everyday, still cant completely stand fully for long periods but she is getting there! Sadly this was a "new owner error" that could have been prevented
sad.png
So glad to hear she is doing better.

We all started same as you
hugs.gif
at least it is a fix that shows improvement pretty quick. and Now you will know what to do when and if you ever have ducklings. And you can share your Knowledge with others!!

Thanks for updating.
X2

I'm so glad that she's fine and glad it was an easy problem. At least now you know and it can help you in the future for example now I'm always careful with what I feed my ducks. I wish you luck and hope that she continues getting better and goes back to being normal!
1f601.png

Back
Top Bottom