HELP!!

Ronie

In the Brooder
May 22, 2017
Hello all! I posted last night about my chickens and ducks not hatching. Today is day 23. I've had them in the incubator and haven't really touched them since day 18. There is no pipping, nada! How can I check if they are alive? What should I do? Should I do the float test? This is my first time doing this and I believe I did everything right. Up until lockdown day they were healthy and thriving. PLEASE HELP ME! My daughter is freaking out and so am I!

1: Don't freak out! It makes it worse.
2: Don't do a float test! They are NOT 100% accurate and you could end up tossing out live chicks.
3: Is the humidity okay? You need to regularly fill the water panels and spray the eggs. If you can't get the humidity high enough (65% or more) you could try putting a wet sponge in there.

Has the temperature been correct the whole time? It there any way the incubator could have been turned off (due to a power cut or something similar)? You can try candling the eggs in the dark. If they are moving inside the eggs then they should start pipping sometime soon.
What do you have in the incubator? Duck eggs take 28 days to hatch, and hen eggs take 21 days.

-Jet

1: Don't freak out! It makes it worse.
2: Don't do a float test! They are NOT 100% accurate and you could end up tossing out live chicks.
3: Is the humidity okay? You need to regularly fill the water panels and spray the eggs. If you can't get the humidity high enough (65% or more) you could try putting a wet sponge in there.

Has the temperature been correct the whole time? It there any way the incubator could have been turned off (due to a power cut or something similar)? You can try candling the eggs in the dark. If they are moving inside the eggs then they should start pipping sometime soon.
What do you have in the incubator? Duck eggs take 28 days to hatch, and hen eggs take 21 days.

-Jet
So, I have them in the magicfly mini incubator. Power has been perfect. I will spray them today after I candle them. I just read that I am supposed to reduce them temp for hatching, is that right? Oy, I am so confused! Thank you for your reply.

No... your not meant to reduce temp for hatching....
Where did you read that? It's meant to stay the same the whole time. The only thing different with lockdown is the humidity goes UP. The temp always stays the same.

No problem! Yep, give them a spray and candle them. Hopefully something will start pipping soon!!

-Jet

I've got 3 littles now! Wow, this is super nerve wracking! LoL! The 4th has pipped but the 5th has done nothing. Today is day 25. Anyone know if I should toss it or should I keep it in longer? I also have a bunch of ducks that need to hatch.

Attachments

• IMG_2788.JPG
    IMG_2788.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom