Help!

The progression of the lameness and subsequent paralysis points straight to an avian virus. I've been this route before. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...update-now-another-pullet-going-lame.1432738/ It ends in heartache.

With my third pullet that came down with these symptoms, when she reached the stage where she had declined to the point where she could not move much and had quit eating, I made her comfortable in a well padded box and drove her to my state animal testing lab. They took her and euthanized her and did a necropsy to determine what this was that was paralyzing my pullets. It was avian leucosis. Marek's is very close in symptoms, so it's usually one or the other that causes young chickens to go lame.

Give us your location, and we can help you find the lab closest to where you live.

The progression of the lameness and subsequent paralysis points straight to an avian virus. I've been this route before. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...update-now-another-pullet-going-lame.1432738/ It ends in heartache.

With my third pullet that came down with these symptoms, when she reached the stage where she had declined to the point where she could not move much and had quit eating, I made her comfortable in a well padded box and drove her to my state animal testing lab. They took her and euthanized her and did a necropsy to determine what this was that was paralyzing my pullets. It was avian leucosis. Marek's is very close in symptoms, so it's usually one or the other that causes young chickens to go lame.

Give us your location, and we can help you find the lab closest to where you live.
Is it contagious? Is it bad for humans or just chickens?
Asheboro NC

This lab may be closer.

NC State Veterinary Medicine logo

1060 William Moore Drive
Raleigh, NC 27607

Unfortunately, it could be Mareks disease. I would treat with vitamins including riboflavin (B2) just in case, but if you lose her I would try to have the state vet do a necropsy and testing for possible Mareks. Make sure that she can reach food and water.

This is the same pullet from few weeks ago?

What exactly are you feeding, including treats and how much?
What protein %.
Photos of the feed bags or tags if possible.

Is she housed by herself or still with roosters?

This is the same pullet from few weeks ago?

What exactly are you feeding, including treats and how much?
What protein %.
Photos of the feed bags or tags if possible.

Is she housed by herself or still with roosters?
She’s been by herself since January5 still sees some of the roosters though from behind her pen. I was feeding medicated chickstarter but was implementing the layer pellet a bit.

How long has she been eating medicated starter?
I would feed her an all flock or non medicated chick starter.
Up the vitamin B-Complex to 1/2 tablet and give her 400IU vitamin E. A daily treat of egg too - this is good protein and will help with the uptake of E.

Back
Top Bottom