Hi all,
did I mention that the yeast I used was slow and sluggish ? well, I take that back. today both of the jugs pushed the air locks off. I got
one jug to settle down, but the other one blew the air lock off four time is less than a half hour. So I just wrapped a towel around the neck of the jug and left the air lock off for now..
I washed the last three jugs. put stoppers in them to keep the dust out.
I looked up some beer recipes. I would like to duplicate Grolsch beer. I did once, but it was more by accident than planned. I have two or three cases of Grolsch flip top bottles..
Annie bought me a five gallon (21 quart)
stainless steel pot. Used a $10 off coupon so it was only $20 .. Our porcelain canning kettle has chips in the bottom. It is just a matter of time before they will rust through
and start to leak.
I checked on barley at the feed mill. About
$6/50 pound bag. I need only 16 pounds to make 5 gallons of beer. I can make four batches from that bag.
......jiminwisc......

Hi all,
did I mention that the yeast I used was slow and sluggish ? well, I take that back. today both of the jugs pushed the air locks off. I got
one jug to settle down, but the other one blew the air lock off four time is less than a half hour. So I just wrapped a towel around the neck of the jug and left the air lock off for now..
I washed the last three jugs. put stoppers in them to keep the dust out.
I looked up some beer recipes. I would like to duplicate Grolsch beer. I did once, but it was more by accident than planned. I have two or three cases of Grolsch flip top bottles..
Annie bought me a five gallon (21 quart)
stainless steel pot. Used a $10 off coupon so it was only $20 .. Our porcelain canning kettle has chips in the bottom. It is just a matter of time before they will rust through
and start to leak.
I checked on barley at the feed mill. About
$6/50 pound bag. I need only 16 pounds to make 5 gallons of beer. I can make four batches from that bag.
......jiminwisc......
Wrong time of year to grow your own hops. :) good luck. "Stuck" fermentations surprise us all from time to time when they wake up.

this is the first time I ever used Red Star yeast.
I didn't know what to expect. first day (12/2) of fermenting, practically no bubbles. today (12/4) the top of the jug looks like a volcano ..
I will use pelleted hops.
I never tried growing hops..
......jiminwisc......

I am keeping a close eye on the air locks.
what is happening is the berry skins are floating to the top and the pressure pushes them up the neck of the jug. I have the bungs pushed in very lightly just in case that happens.
Last night the wild one settled down. This morning the quiet one went wild. I will replace the air lock after th e jug settles down. Probably by tonight..

I got my ham. the line of cars was at least six or seven block long. we were there very early and were in about the 50th one to get our ham.
then we went and I bought some powdered malt and some hops. the guy was very helpful. He figured out a recipe that he figured would be as close to Grolsch as we could get it. I will be satisfied
if it just turns out good,
....jiminwisc......

Back
Top Bottom