Hen / Pullet Stands Ground Against Sharp-shinned Hawk

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
While looking out front door of house I could see a game pullet (~8 months post-hatch) walking slowly with tail erect and head held high. The back part of her hackles stood out a bit as well. She was making vocalizations I could not hear. It was evident she was looking at some sort of bird, but at first it was not evident to me even though she was quite close to it. She was walking slowly doing her display when she gave her targets position to me by how she held her head to look at it. About 15 feet above her on power line was a I small raptor I initially took to be an American Kestrel. Typically the games do not pay much attention to perching kestrels. When the raptor flushed by the pullets approach I could see it was a Sharp-shinned Hawk. The Sharp-shinned Hawk, even a female, is not threat to my game hens. How the hen postured and moved is something I would like to take pictures and video of. It is interesting how the pullet distinguished the hawk from a kestrel even though the hawk involved is not a threat. It does look a lot like the larger Coopers Hawk which the pullet would likely treat in a similar manner. The Coopers Hawk can be a threat if chicken small or does not stand its ground.

That is a great story. We think of chickens as only being prey animals. But they will go after hawks if they have the opportunity to. I've seen my roo go after hawks that swoop by Or land on hens, but I've never seen a hen alert due to a hawk. So that is quite unique. It's quite amazing the versatility of chickens behavior. And how they'll stand up for themselves against some predators! Thanks for sharing!!

While looking out front door of house I could see a game pullet (~8 months post-hatch) walking slowly with tail erect and head held high. The back part of her hackles stood out a bit as well. She was making vocalizations I could not hear. It was evident she was looking at some sort of bird, but at first it was not evident to me even though she was quite close to it. She was walking slowly doing her display when she gave her targets position to me by how she held her head to look at it. About 15 feet above her on power line was a I small raptor I initially took to be an American Kestrel. Typically the games do not pay much attention to perching kestrels. When the raptor flushed by the pullets approach I could see it was a Sharp-shinned Hawk. The Sharp-shinned Hawk, even a female, is not threat to my game hens. How the hen postured and moved is something I would like to take pictures and video of. It is interesting how the pullet distinguished the hawk from a kestrel even though the hawk involved is not a threat. It does look a lot like the larger Coopers Hawk which the pullet would likely treat in a similar manner. The Coopers Hawk can be a threat if chicken small or does not stand its ground.

I've never seen a hen alert due to a hawk. So that is quite unique. It's quite amazing the versatility of chickens behavior. And how they'll stand up for themselves against some predators!

My roos are the best alerters, but my hens will alert as well. I saw my girls gang up on a opossum once. They didn't attack it, but they advancied towards it as a group while hollering their lungs out. They were fearless; it really surprised me. It disappeared into the brush; I don't think predators like the noise chickens make.

My roos are the best alerters, but my hens will alert as well. I saw my girls gang up on a opossum once. They didn't attack it, but they advancied towards it as a group while hollering their lungs out. They were fearless; it really surprised me. It disappeared into the brush; I don't think predators like the noise chickens make.

Or they didn't care for the odds, lol.

Mobbing seems to have two mechanisms at play. In some situations like I observed this morning, the chickens effectively runs predator off. Second mechanism may make so everyone knows about predator taking away any element of surprise the latter may need to be successful.

Pullet doing this currently not part of a harem / structured flock. All mature roosters (American Dominique) are based in barn with home ranges that do not overlap with hers. The pullet's mother has two juvenile brothers with her that still rely on mommy to defend their interest. Those boys are pushing 20 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom