Hen with tumor behind eye and swollen crop, possible lymphoid leukosis?

The vet did examine the fluid in her crop. They said there was nothing abnormal.. Her crop no is massive.. At times it is squishy and others a little harder. But never hard and small like a normal crop at the end of the day. She is now also twitching her head and extending her neck.. most likely out of the discomfort the crop is giving her?

She has been on Psittavet (doxycycline) for six days with no change. Her crop has gotten worse. Originally the main thing I was worried about was the tumor.. that seems to be doing nothing but now her crop is the worry.
Also her poo is small, green and runny.
Thank-you so much again. If you didnt look so alert I would have her put down but she is obviously fighting.
Thank you for more information! It's good that the crop contents that the vet tested had not turned sour. But yes, she has something going on with the crop.
Thank you for the video, the action I see, the neck movement is trying to adjust the crop. She also seems to be having a bit of difficulty breathing.

Crop issues are often a result (symptom) of an underlying condition like disease, worms, coccidiosis, infection and reproductive problems.
Regardless of the lump on the face, the crop needs to be addressed. If it isn't then it can turn sour, she can begin to lose weight and become very weak or even die.

I would start out with giving 1tsp of coconut oil as outlined in @azygous article and massage the crop several times a day. While you are massaging the crop, try to see if you can tell if there's a ball of something in there like a wad of grass/straw or if it's more like doughy, air or just fluid filled.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Did the vet by any chance do a fecal float to check for a worm overload?
While you are treating her crop, I would also feel of the abdomen for bloat or fluid. Cup your hand and feel between her legs under the vent. Compare her to other hens if you need to.
She does need to be drinking, but I would eliminated anything that needs to be "processed" at this time. Wet Feed is what I normally make available, I know we all love to give treats, it makes us feel good. A little scrambled egg would be good for a treat (no scratch, veggies, etc. at this time-until you get the crop issue resolved)

I'm sure @azygous will chime in with more details and great suggestions. Even though I have dealt with several different crop issues, she knows her stuff and her experience with LL is invaluable.

Have you felt her crop first thing in the morning? This is the best way to confirm a crop disorder. The healthy crop empties completely during the night and is flat and empty in the morning.

From all her symptoms, I'd say Ruby has a crop disorder. The treatment is simple and can't hurt her, even if we have diagnosed her wrong. Give her miconazole (women's yeast cream) twice a day for seven days. This will cure sour crop.

It's possible she also has impacted crop at the same time. You can treat that by giving her a nice big teaspoon of coconut oil or mineral oil or olive oil. This also will not harm Ruby if she doesn't happen to have impacted crop, and can help break it up is she does.

The head movement and the green poop all suggest Ruby has a crop disorder. Vets can be wrong on occasion. No big deal.

So this morning Ruby's crop was still massive, semi squishy.

I have started the coconut oil and massage. She is very good with the oil, she is eating it up by herself. I massaged the crop and it definitely got softer. Gas also came out her mouth a few times. I can feel a hard lump right at the top right hand side (her right side) that doesn't seem to be able to be broken apart.. I am worried it is another tumor.. however she was very bright eyed and after the massage wasn't extending or twitching her head and was walking around well. I am going to keep at it as much as I can today.

I will try to get a photo of the lump. I can sort of see it through the skin and it is a light colour whereas the rest of the crop is a darker shade.

In regards to the lump on her face I feel as though it is more squishy and has decreased in size and doesn't look as inflamed.

Last edited:
For the present, let's assume the hard lump you feel in Ruby's crop is part of her crop obstruction and continue the oil once more with focus on massaging that hard lump. Report back to us what happens.

The next step after oil and massage is a stool softener. Do you have any Dulcolax or generic? Any stool softener without a stimulant will do nicely. Give her one capsule and let it work for half to one hour, then massage the lump again. If it fails to break up, then it may be a tumor, but I'm betting against that.

You may not need the yeast cream if her crop is flat and empty in the morning. If there is spongy fullness come morning, then start her on the yeast cream. Squeeze out about a quarter to half inch on your finger and wipe it off onto the inside of her beak. She'll swallow it. You can offer her the cream on your finger and she may take it. A couple of my former patients actually thought it was a special treat and gobbled it down.

Also I dont have any miconazole but i do have clotrimazole (10mg/g) would this be ok to give her?

Also how much and how often.

I seriously cannot thank everyone enough for your help, I have been very worried.
I would go with the instructions that @azygous mentions in the previous post. Go ahead with the next step of using a stimulant free stool softener.
I'm very hopeful it is not a tumor in the crop that you feel, so I agree with treating this like an impacted crop.
There is always a possibility that she has a tumor, time will tell.

I'm glad the facial lump seems to be reducing in size.

fwiw - yes, you can use Clotrimazole for treatment if the crop turns sour.

Make sure it is STOOL SOFTENER and STIMULANT FREE - not trying to "preach" but Dulcolax has 2 different formulas, so read the box please.:)

I sort of like to do one thing at a time, Carol may do it differently. Use the stool softener (this is done once), massage after about an hour and see if things start breaking down and moving.
If it breaks down and you still notice an odor, then start the clotrimazole.

All the while she needs to stay hydrated.

20190118_100823.jpg
20190118_100804.jpg

She has done a large poo!

I feel this is a good thing? Previous they were very small and very green.

I have no food in with her but I saw her catch and eat a baby lizard.. which I think is also a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom