Hens Crop Not Empting at Night Please help

Sorry to hear about your chicken. Vomiting for sure is a risk. This is my first experience with crop issues, it's very stressful. Last week she was all fluffy and not well. Her poops are back to normal. I hope sone this will pass.

I don't mean to pick apart the ACV use casportpony. I'm a believer in it and I give it in my birds water everyday. But if the bird is on antibiotic as well (medication)...isn't the antibiotic have the potential to kill the "mother' in the ACV? I know there is susceptibility for certain bacteria to certain antibiotics. So it may only reduce the effectiveness of the the "Mother". But to me I would maybe give AFTER antibiotic use is over with to then reintroduce good bacteria to the gut. The ACV to me keeps that pH low (more acidic) in sour crop as well. And the baking soda is designed to neutralize sour crop. ACV's good bacteria however can compete and introduce acidic environment that bad bacteria doesn't like. That's the confusing part I think where this comes into play. Here I am questioning a probably really good Veterinarian's advice.
hide.gif

ugh. IT IS SO confusing pwand. Just go with your gut feeling...no pun intended.
smile.png
Seemed like what you were doing was making some progress.

argh! im ao sorry your going through all this :(
these crop issues seem to be such a lengthy process! i was told by my vet not to give acv when crop is sour and not to give yoghurt while sour either. my vet ok'd the use of the womens yeast inf treatment (off the record) i was using canesten (uk) also used nystatin. your right theres so much conflicting advice! you just have to try things and see what works. the baking soda seemed to work for you before so prob a good idea but just keep an eye on poops. you said she felt like she hadnt had enough water and i think the baking soda can dehydrate some. so maybe be cateful there. ive had the thick stuff come out too and thou it has always helped my hen to vomit it is scary stuff! and when i try and it wont come up easily i tend not to push it. wait til morning and ive found its more liqidy then. sorry i cant be more
help.i feel your frustration. your doing all you can for her so stay strong and just keep trying. i hope she recovers very soon and you can put it all behind you.x shes had good days so im sure this is gonna come right in the end xx

Shell I think you make a good point watching how much you give of the baking soda. When it neutralizes it turns everything to H2O and salts. And i think salt will draw extra water out of her. There is a homemade ringers solution also on that cockatiel thread if you are dealing with dehydration. Maybe follow Baking soda water flush with the home made ringers.

Oh Good Gravy you poor ladies with your chooks. Your like your own pharmacists/chemists here. Easy for me to say all this stuff but I don't have to deal with it!

Didn't realize that it could cause dehydration. I am doing the recommend 1 tbsp to one gallon.

Her crop is big again, I cut her off food late this afternoon. She's having nice poops. Puzzled. I will leave her alone tonight and hope for an empty crop in the morning.

Shell: how about a veterinary assistant? That's the next best thing, or becoming a nurse. :)

Most vets will sell a bag of ringers. If yours won't, you could use Pedialyte or make your own. This link says how to do it. Their recipe calls for aluminum free baking soda, but I don't know why, might want to research that if the baking soda you're using has aluminum in it.

http://www.avianweb.com/sickbirdcare.html

Last edited:
I don't know for sure pwand but maybe just watch her if your having to do baking soda solution a lot and smelling sour. While making the salt its also making water. So maybe that's enough to offset the salt.

I get to thinking outloud sometimes. It just was a thought when shell said something about loose loop. That tidbit about salt struck me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom