hens havent laid since the begiining of summer.

da-cajun-angla

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
laplace,la
we had a really really hot summer here in new orleans this year. all 4 of my girls stopped laying all together and havent started either. its been 5 or so months now...any idea whats wrong? what can i do?
thanks,
shaun

have you tried laying mash? how much light are they getting a day? does your chicken house have Windows?have you checked their legs for mites? I do know they need 14 hours of light a day. you might want to put a timer on a light in their house. just some things to try hope this helps.

not too old...3 are about 2 and 1 is 4...i have windows in the coop...dont know yet till i get home if mites are there...and i also feed them laying pellets...i was told by the guy at the feedstore to treat them for cocc...and worm them and to check if their combs are bright red like they r supposed to be or lightly colored. gonna go buy the stuff from him 2day to see if it works...i really thought it was the heat...but guess not...thanks for the replies...i really appreciate it!
shaun

Last edited:
Try adding ground cayenne pepper to their food. There's an extensive thread on BYC "Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying" from yesterday; https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=292179 about the hows and whys to add cayenne pepper. The thread's title is something like "how to make your chickens lay as well in the winter as they do in the summer".

Apparently the capsicum in peppers stimulates their systems, warming them and helping chickens lay more productively. I'm going to try it.

What are you feeding? How much protein are they getting?

My chicks lay right in the middle of nearly a month of 100 degree weather.

I would beware of feed store employees telling you to treat for cocci if your flock does not have bloody diarrhea and if you have not seen worms in their poo why do they think there are worms? When my DH bought our first chicks the TSC employee sold him an antibiotic to go in their water...I asked on this forum and they said it was not needed if they were not sick...they were not sick!

Good luck.

Id think they are laying somewhere where you arent finding them, they are eating them, or they are much older than you think they are.

Back
Top Bottom