Hens stopped laying

katiebob

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 22, 2009
Nor Cal, CA
HI,
Do hens stop laying when they molt? Can losing hutch mates upset a group? Do they take breaks from time to time?
My 5 month old girls stopped laying about 8 days ago. I gave 5 of 14 hens to a friend about that time. Out of 9 hens I am getting 1-2 eggs aday. Until I took the 5 hens away I was getting 12-13 eggs aday. I have not changed their house, feed or anything and the weather has not been too weird. Does this happen sometimes?
Thanks for your time:)

Any upset can cause a halt in egg laying...plus they're so young and just started laying that they may also be working out the kinks. Don't worry, it'll pick back up. And yes, a moult can cause them to stop laying but doesn't always.

Quote:
??? 5 mos old coturnix quail are like 30 something yr old adult humans...

they will lay during the molt

They are the lovers of perpetual sameness and you have upset that sameness--- Your sentance for this hanous infraction of coturnix law (
smile.png
) is the dreaded egg deprivation treatment--- in quail terms.... "BAD KEEPER! NO EGGS FOR YOU!"

Let 'em work it out, once they are over it they'll start laying agian, no biggie really, just coturnix and their lil quirks

On a serious note, any changes of habitat, roommates, feed, light, etc is likely to cause the same thing.

Quote:
??? 5 mos old coturnix quail are like 30 something yr old adult humans...

they will lay during the molt

They are the lovers of perpetual sameness and you have upset that sameness--- Your sentance for this hanous infraction of coturnix law (
smile.png
) is the dreaded egg deprivation treatment--- in quail terms.... "BAD KEEPER! NO EGGS FOR YOU!"

Let 'em work it out, once they are over it they'll start laying agian, no biggie really, just coturnix and their lil quirks

On a serious note, any changes of habitat, roommates, feed, light, etc is likely to cause the same thing.

Thank you for taking the time to answer this question! I am glad to know they will start laying again-hopefully soon.

Back
Top Bottom