HERE WE GO AGAIN Anyone SETTING Aug 30th - Sept 8th join me!!

Roxannemc

Songster
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
SE Missouri
I am on the last weeks thread too but since my eggs will be last to hatch i think on it, feel like the last person late to a party thats almost over.... SOO i thought i might start a thread for ppl setting this week ..Anyone else setting now too? Come join me on this hatch journey and hope the Hatch Gods smile on us.

My Lavender Orp eggs havent arrived yet but should between Today and Sat.
I was going to wait on incubating more let the bator cool down... but hatch addiction couldnt be stopped...here i am again.

wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Oh Guys, I couldn't resist it any longer and candled (Day 4) and as far as I can tell I have 33/35 developing. The Marans and Olive eggs are really hard to see through at this stage, but things look like they're growing - yay!!! Some of the Olive eggs are really porous, so fingers crossed for them
fl.gif
, but 5/6 Super Blues are developing nicely. For those of you who love pics as much as me - here are my Iphone pics from this morning's candling session :

Hey all
Set some Wed. 29th:
10 Black Australorps
13 Mille Fleur Bantam Cochins
7 Moltted Bantam Cochins

All have been shipped to me (my 1st purchase of shipped eggs) & this is my 2nd time of hatching in incubator.

Breeder I bought my incubator from a little over a month ago had given me 18 eggs to start with (speckled sussex, lavendar orpingtons, blue langshan & welsummer) out of the 18 he gave me I got 3 speckled sussex, 2 welsummers & 1 blue langshan (only had one of these eggs).
Had a lavendar orp. developing but at some point late in the game it cracked, so no hatch. So my 1st ever try at incubating I got 6 out of 18.

Hoping for more success this time around but understand they are shipped eggs, so i am trying to keep my expectations in check.

good luck all
Stacy i wonder if you had done eggtopsies on your last unhatch eggs?. Not really bad first hatch but a little low hatch for non shipped eggs,Most ppl get aout 80% but she may have taken what she found and they could have gotten too hot,been too old or possibly not even fertile before you got them.Pretty nice of her though free such ...NICE breeds
.Did you have any problems with the bator during your hatch?Too high temp?To high low humidity Anything?

The first hatches it s a good idea to do the eggtopsies to find how far along the unhatched were or if fertile at all....although not pleasant it gives you some clues as to what may have gone wrong so you can correct it next time.Usually you have to get the bator temp and humidity ajusted to your location for a really good hatch.That said you did get 6 so something was right obviously. HAHA
I am just wondering about the eggs before they were set.
GOOD LUCK on this hatch
. I have had abysmal hatches on shipped and last hatch i just had had 2 unfertile ,one quiter and 11 locked down 10 hatched well and the last tried to but when it pipped some other baby rolled it face down and i think it smothered,I was shocked and pleased i had such a high hatch on shipped , my best of 7 so it CAN happen if the Hatch Gods are smiling.LOL

I received my first shipped eggs yesterday, and was amazed at how excited I was. Picked them up at the P.O. and instead of stopping by the feed store for dog food and shavings, or the grocery store for milk and something for supper, I just went straight home. I was trying to open the boxes at stop lights. Like a kid peeking at Christmas presents.

There is already much drama! I received 52 eggs yesterday, with more coming tomorrow. I had ordered a Brinsea that holds 24, then got carried away with ordering so I picked up a Hovabator locally which holds 48. Two days before the eggs arrived, one of my two laying pullets went broody. This is all for the best, as when I unpacked the Brinsea on Tuesday there was a small flaw in it--a broken plastic piece. They're a great company, they're sending out a new one and a return shipping label, but it's still a delay. So I gave Megan 9 eggs last night (wanted to give her 12, but they didn't really fit.) I plan to set the rest of the eggs tomorrow. This is my first time with shipped eggs, first time with any eggs, first time incubating, first time with a broody hen. I'm lovin' it!

This morning's drama involved Millie climbing on top of Megan because she wanted to use THAT nesting box. I moved the favored box, with Megan in it, to a different but comparable location, and put a less popular box in that most popular spot. Hope that works. I'd hate it if Millie started laying in the yard somewhere. Here is a picture of Megan on the box--I love how her eye looks in this photo! She's a BCM, and she's adopted Silkie eggs. If anyone is still with me, thanks for reading my rambles...

I tried three times to upload the picture. Doesn't seem to want to post. Or maybe there will suddenly be three of the same picture...

Last edited:
I am using an LG still air also...was supposed to set last week but the eggs never arrived, so they sent me a whole new bunch! Will be setting them today but am feeling really nervous and can't seem to get the humidity quite right. The incubator has been set up for over a week and of course NOW, moments before I want to put the eggs in, I'm fiddling with humidity, LOL. Can't seem to get it to stay above 40% even with water tray filled and a sponge.

I've let the eggs sit for about 18hrs, but I read above that I should not turn them for the first couple of days after they go in? I have an automatic turner so I'll just unplug it, I just have heard mixed opinions, is this the general consensus on shipped eggs? What do you guys think?

Where do you live? Is it humid or dry there? I actually keep my humidity in the 30's and only add water when it gets to about 25% (and then only enough to get it back up into the 30's.) During lock down I will do 55-60% at the highest. On my first hatch I went by the book with humidity 45-50% during incubation and then upped it to the high 60's during lock down and when my chicks hatched they were soaking wet. As they hatched the humidity went even higher and I had condensation on the glass and 4 of the eggs did not hatch. I am pretty sure they drowned.

When you add the eggs the temp and humidity will probably drop. DO NOT adjust anything. The eggs are cooler than the incubator and are "pulling" the heat inside of them to get to where the temp is set in the incubator. After an hour or so check to see what the temp is. If you have to adjust then do so in very small increments until you get to where you want it to be.

Once you set the eggs in the bator don't turn them for 5 days. This helps to settle the air cells even more and gives the embryo a chance to grow.

Last edited:
Thank You! I will research more on how to help them safely. I'm sure there are threads on this. That's what I love about this site--people like you who can help us newbies, and great archives of discussions on everything chickens!
Amen to that BYC is my chicken encyclopedia. Who needs book, mags etc. when you have BYC. Anytime I have a question, I type it in the search and sure enough I get all the answers I need!

I so hear you. Been up all night, 5 pips so far out of 16 but not much progress since, officially day 19 now.

On top of this stress, we've had 5" of rain in the last hr.
th.gif
Basement/Den started flooding a little bit, low end of garage flooding & the building beside garage that we have the brooder in with (5) 3 week old chicks started flooding. Brooder is a big ole particle board box with no bottom. Built that way on purpose so the bottom wouldn't have to be cleaned. We lay down paper and shavings, easy to clean but it does sit on the concrete. So, because of the flooding , shavings SOAKED, sides started soaking up water. Thank goodness i have a piece of driftwood for the young' uns to climb on. They were all sitting on the wood.
Woke my husband up at 3:30 so he could help me carry it in the garage and relocated the chicks. UGH
barnie.gif
but all high & dry- whew.

Seriously need a xanax but having been up now for some 24+hrs. afraid it would put me down & I am expecting a call from PO in a few hrs.on the 9 starter pullets & cockerals expected today.

Think this has done one thing....I "think" I'm done with hatching & be mother hen to all these babies for a few months. I need to sit back relax and watch my flock grow!

Said a prayer for you. Hope the rain stops and things settle back to normal. Stress on top of stress is not good. Hope you have a great hatch!

Back
Top Bottom