Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Iain Utah, Feb 26, 2012.

1. animaladdictions

animaladdictions Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Celtic/Shelley I'm keeping your family in my prayers and hope that hubby gets to come home soon. Don't forget to take a minute for yourself! Sounds like you're playing the role of wonder woman right now! Your deserve a long hot bubble bath! Does wonders for my stress level. When I can squeeze one in!!! ;)

Ohhh Squishy! I'm so happy for you mom! I know you'll have a blast watching him/her grow!

I'm so jealous of all you guys! But I'm happy for you too! Hatching baby geese is such a rewarding feeling. I'm just dying to hatch some baby geese again this year! Ive got call ducks due tomorrow but I'm not too confident on their hatch rate because I've had some temp "issues". I'm hoping for the best though. :)

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Congratulations Sue on a sucessful hatch - WELL DONE [​IMG]

Great to see Squishy has hatched and I see a husbands hands in there who cant wait to be involved [​IMG]

I cant wait to see Squishy all dried out and fluffy but he/she looks quite yellow but not easy to tell until they dry out fully but maybe a little boy???

Squishy has been a very interesting little gosling to hatch as earlier I mentioned to Sue that I estimated weight loss of approx 20% which is quite high. Yet here Squishy is and I've had similar experiences with our Macaws when eggs lost too much moisture yet they all hatch, need a little extra hydration but are healthy birds. It does demonstrate that these eggs will hatch even though approx 4% over the optimum weight loss target. However if the weight loss is 4% under and around 12% then the outcome is usually dead in shell. I think it clealry shows the importance of adequate weight loss and aiming for that 16% target.

I think little Squishy has done a great job in demonstrating that point [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  3. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    He looks so tired.. [​IMG] Hatching is a rough job!! Cute Cute!

4. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    Celtic and Iain please keep me posted if you receive your eggs today...thanks!!!

5. kawonu

kawonu Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    Western North Carolina
    Update on Buff Pom eggs, since some of you have received/waiting on eggs from me:

Candled last night and all are still doing great and developing. Lots of movement and large veins. I tried taking pictures last night but they didn't show up well. I'll try again tonight with my kids to help.

6. Lapaysannefarm

Lapaysannefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Virginia
    Yay! Shes so cute!

7. Lamar Estate

Lamar Estate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Just adorable! Congratulations!!

8. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Erin, I will let you know... but I have a bad feeling because my local post office is not showing it as received this morning.... and they are normally very good about scanning everything they get there.

9. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Would someone/anyone please reassure me that Erin's toulouse eggs (that have now been with USPS for 6 days) will be ok if/when they get here??? [​IMG]

10. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Eggs will remain viable for 2 weeks plus (though hatchability declines after 10 days). More critical is that they're being handled with care. I know I've found the large Dewlap Toulouse eggs are the hardest to hatch when shipped.

However you've got experience and there's every chance but do weigh and candle for air cell damage.

Pete [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by