1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Iain Utah, Feb 26, 2012.

1. psue

psue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    Swishy at about 13 hours old. Had to set him/her in the sink to even TRY to get a full picture. Very fast for being so young.
    Pete here's some interesting information on Squishy.

I weighed the egg on day 30 at 167
    Squishy at appox. 2 hours old weighed 129 and had stayed awake for about 45 minutes after hatching before taking a nap.
    Hope however to have a seperate hatcher by next weekend when 4 more are due.
    The gooslings are to tall in the LG for my liking, looked like he/she was going to hit the fan and the heater in all the trying to walk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Sue, Squishy is precious! I know what you mean about the LG, but I have not had any problems with my hatchlings. Granted, I remove them pretty quickly (2-3 hours) as I have a 30 gallon glass aquarium set up to dry them out in that works really well.

3. psue

psue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    After all I'd read I wasn't ready to move him that quick, luckly we had moved the ducks to the toddler brooder just had to put the puppy pads in and plug in the light.

Btw.. When can we put Squishy with the ducks? he's already as big or bigger then they are.

4. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    If the power goes out, approx how long to you have until the eggs all die? At what temps do they start to be affected? Does it depend on stage of development? I'm hatching ducklings, not goslings, but thought this question might apply to both.

5. Iain Utah

Dec 17, 2011
    Sue, you can try to put him in with ducklings today, but keep a close eye that the ducks do not overwhelm him.

Christine, I have had my power go out for a few hours mid-stream into incubation with two different hatches. The first time (with ducks only), the temp dropped to 90 degrees, but I had a good hatch (75%), so I don't think it made any difference. The 2nd time (ducks and geese), it dropped into mid-80s. I had a lower hatch rate on ducks (50%) but a very good goose hatch (66.66%). When my power went out, I moved bators to warmest place in house and wrapped in towels to help hold temp.

How long has your power been out? What temp did bator drop to?

6. jerryford

jerryford Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Not sure on temp but I know the egg internal temp can stay up for longer than you think I wouldnt give up with out bringing back to temp and candling have heard as long as 2 days and surviving

7. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL

I have my PO locating them right now with home office..if she calls me back..I'll let you know!!! [​IMG]

8. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    It actually hasn't gone out (yet), but it's very windy today. A tree or branch went down on a line and caught fire right over my head (yikes!) on my way to work this morning, so I wouldn't be surprised if it goes out sometime during the day today. I just was wondering in case it happens.

9. Iain Utah

Dec 17, 2011
    Erin, please let me know.... and I will let you know if they arrive today (post lady should be here any minute).

Christine, you will be fine! You have strong developing eggs. :)

My mail lady just left... no eggs. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  10. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by