Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

Little, thank you. He is home and recovering.

Marty I have LOTS of eggs set and chugging along, with buff saddleback Pomeranian goose eggs arriving tomorrow! :D can't wait to add these to the mix. Thanks also for asking about hubby. One day at a time.

Erin the only color that will hatch is grey, you only have a buff goose with grey ganders. So all off spring will be grey. Some could be buff carriers. You would be the only one able to hatch buff. If you split the buff goose with a grey gander and then take a son who is now split for buff and bred the buff goose some of the off spring will,be buff. No buff will come from a Grey gander over buff goose though. Unless the grey gander is a buff carrier.

Iana- Where'd you get your buffs? Are they the ones from ebay? I'm so happy for you I can't even tell ya! Dewlaps, IMHO are THEEEEE BEST! I JUST LOVE THEM! Can't wait to get more myself! :) Don't get yourself too stressed about hatching. They can be difficult BUT I hatched 3 out of 4 last season and it was my very first time ever hatching goose eggs! The fourth one never developed so its not like something went wrong there. I did have a problem with there not being significant weight/moisture loss in one but Pete guided me through it and all was well! That goose is now my best bud and I just adore him!

Celtic- Im glad to hear that hubby's doing better! Sounds like you're going to have goslings coming out of your ears soon!

I'm so sorry to hear of everyone's shipping trouble. I've never had eggs take longer than 3 or 4 days to get here but I think something's up with our postal system lately. I sent out a MO a while back and it took 3 WEEKS for her to finally get it. I think it may be all the cut backs due to this horrible recession that were in. Its no excuse, but the USPS has taken a big hit. As for the seller, yes, it would be nice if she could replace eggs, but clearly she couldn't have anticipated this problem and buying eggs through the mail is a risk the buyer knowingly takes. Seller's can't be held responsible for this sort of thing. Although, Ive found that most seller's are very understanding and will replace eggs for the cost of shipping. I think in this case especially, the PO should refund the buyers' money. But that's just my 2 pennies worth.

4 Embdem have started dipping and 3 wont turn..... Let the fun begin
wink.png

Celtic, I am glad your husband is doing better. I am sure you have your hands full with chickens, ducks and geese as well as having your husband down.
The mail has been a big problem this year and I agree that when you ship priority that the postal system should have to be accountable for damages.
I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have a batch of goose eggs due to hatch in about seven days with the second group coming a week later. My daughter and I finished building our new chicken coop yesterday and got the outside of it painted and a fence up. We are going to hook up an electric fence around the pen this weekend. This will be the new home of 25 Black Star chicks coming the first week of April. We still have to build a roost on the inside and block off an area for the brooder box. I almost got the inside painted and I can't wait for all of my new babies. I haven't had chickens in about 50years. I am really more worried about stray dogs than anything else getting to them. I am hopeing that I can let them free range in my goat pasture during the day like I do the geese, once they get big enough.

Celtic...

The eggs I shipped to you on Wednesday says they arrived at your PO this morning!!! I've shipped two sets this week and both made it in 2 days. The ones I shipped on Monday made it from Western NC to California on Wednesday.

So here is a positive note on the USPS...sometimes they do a good job.

Hey everyone... lots to report on my end today.
big_smile.png

Erin.... I had my hubby set your eggs Wednesday night (with fat end upright). When I got home from my trip last night I candled them. 2 are scrambled, 1 has detached cell but looks hopeful, and 1 has an intact cell and appears to be developing. I will be re-sending you some money, and look forward to giving you updates as we go along. And by the way, regarding the colors.... I thought one of your ganders has buff genes and is bred back to the buff goose? If so, then I would think there is a teeny chance to hatch a buff gosling.

My other 6 goose eggs are on day 15 now. They are all developing well. I did my day 14 weigh-in last night, the results are:

Toulouse 1: 219-211-203
Toulouse 2: 196-188-182
Toulouse 3: 196-189-184
African 1: 153-149-145
African 2: 153-148-144
African 3: 149-144-140

Finally, my buff dewlap toulouse eggs should arrive tomorrow!!
yesss.gif
They are from the ebay seller, ratitemomma. I purchased them though a private sale (not through ebay) after talking to them for over a half hour on the phone. They may not be the quality of Pete's stock, but I think the pics of their stock are still adorable!!

Iain
frow.gif

I'm so glad at least one of your E. eggs are coming along, hopefully the other will follow its lead.
fl.gif
Our geese will be siblings! (I don't know if they are all from the same parent, but maybe you do)

I havn't candled yet. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to stick a light on them, but then I don't have the one week development view for my first peek. (And thus something to look forward go)

Welcome home!

I just candled the goose eggs while turning. 3 of 4 Lg. Touslouse eggs have visable centralized yolks, and one doesnt. the one little toulouse, sent w/sebbies, is showing an air cell and central yolks, as are 3 of 4 sebs. One seb has no discernable yolk. I'll give them until day 10, but I'm guessing those two are lost. All exhibit nice little aircells now, but one is divided, but togather at the top.

Kawonu, they will be resting shortly and prep to go in the bator tonight. My PO called this morning to tell me they arrived. My driver said she can bring them to me after lunch. She will have them up front with her to come out. Think she needs chicken eggs to eat again, otherwise she would have left them at the PO for me to get. Looking forward to setting them and will update as they grow.

Will get to set some from MrsMagoo soon too!

Thanks Marty!! I hope egg #1 develops. It certainly looks very promising! Verdict is still out on egg #2, but I really can't tell since it's only been 2 days in the bator.

Back
Top Bottom