Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

No toulouse eggs today for me either. Not sure what is the right thing to do in this situation.
Reboxer, my fingers are crossed for you!!

PO called you got yours eggs today!!
wink.png

Its funny, I really expected goose and duck eggs (size aside, that I've seen at my moms) to be very similar, but I think they are not. The biologist in me had to fight the urge to do a mass to volume ratio, just to see if one has denser yolks and whites. And, even withen the goose family, different breeds seem different as far as shell patterns visable w/candling and even shell thickness.

IYO - do the denser shells hold moisture better than the thinner ones?

Until now, I've only been a duck waterfowl person. I've noiticed my Khakis eggs react differently than Peking eggs (my own, that is) during hatching, and ability to hold up under storage previous to incubatioin, even though they are fed exactly the same here at my own home. (organic layer food, calcium and grit, garden snacks and slugs.)

I love how many people here have a very scientific approach to things. I wonder who else has studied biology or life sciences. Hmm, maybe I'll start a thread..... There must be a research project in this, since I have many years hopefully ahead to see out a long one. Might have to do a sebastopol and Toulouse vs Khaki and Peking egg research project. I'll have to think about the focus. I've just been hanging with t he kids since I graduated. Last ones in Kingergarden, time to dust off my wits and do something usefull.

Happy day to all
frow.gif

I took a fair number of pre-med biology and chem classes in college. I wasn't sure what exactly I wanted to do, so was covering my bases. Next time I hatch duck eggs, I'm going to keep records. This first time, I wasn't very prepared and it's drving me crazy not knowing if they're losing the correct percentage of weight! Unfortunately, I have the interest, but I am a horribly disorganized person.

I love how many people here have a very scientific approach to things. I wonder who else has studied biology or life sciences. Hmm, maybe I'll start a thread..... There must be a research project in this, since I have many years hopefully ahead to see out a long one. Might have to do a sebastopol and Toulouse vs Khaki and Peking egg research project. I'll have to think about the focus. I've just been hanging with t he kids since I graduated. Last ones in Kingergarden, time to dust off my wits and do something usefull.

Happy day to all
frow.gif

I got mine today too Erijn!!! They are HUGE eggs and air cells look pretty good too. Just a little fluid in them, Thanks again!!!!!

It is amazing I just sent them Monday!!!! The usps got that shipment right at least...I'm glad your happy..Please keep me posted on development and colors you get..I'm excited to find out!
The other guy I send to Monday got his today also..I'm hopeful??

Well Pete, I managed to find 4 buff dewlap Toulouse eggs. They are being shipped from Cali tomorrow. I'm really going to need your guidance for these precious eggs. :D

R4Boxer
Hi, you asked a question about goat's milk. I haven't had any problem tolerating the goat's milk that I am using. I would try to find someone that sells it locally and try it before you get a dairy goat to see if you can tolerate it. I was raised on an Iowa farm and had raw cow's milk and didn't have a problem with it. It wasn't until I had to drink processed milk that I started having problems. The selling price for gaot's milk around my part of the country is $6 to $8 a gallon. If you are getting a milking cow you can try that raw milk before you get a dairy goat. I currently have a yearling Jersey hiefer that will be bred soon and I plan on trying her milk once she comes fresh to see if I have any problems with her milk. Goat's milk has a slightly different taste to it and the cream is hard to seperate from the milk. Goat's milk has about the same cream levels as a Holstien cow. I had to do a great amount of reading about goats as I never owned one before. They are unhappy critters if they are by themselves. Lucky for me I have a friend that has some meat goats and she loaned me one of her does to keep mine company. Also my goat is more like a dog as she follows me everywhere and wants to lick my hands at every chance she gets. She also talks to me when I am outside working.

As to my geese they are still laying and I am still waiting on eggs to hatch. Hopefully these two batches in the incubator will turn out right as I have been following Pete's advice to the letter.

Celtic, I got mine yesterday, after 8 days in transit. Doubt any will develop... But since I received them, pretty sure I'm eating my money. Hope seller will at least refund your money. :/

Back
Top Bottom