Herniated disc, back surgery anyone?

I have looked into both and just happen to pick a neurosurgeon. I think the Ortho or Neuro it all depends on the Dr themself. After knowing 13 people who have gone to this Dr, him being the one who founded this type of surgery, and talking with him in mycase he just happens to be the one I want. Glad to hear so many people with great results though just makes it more exciting to be "pain free" and not so gaurded afterwards
big_smile.png

Hurt back at work 12 yrs ago. After take these for a week and then go back to work was prescribed 3 times they finally gave me an MRI. Two blown discs L4-L5.
Got so bad that I could of stuck an ice pick in my left leg and not felt it. They then cut me about 3" along spine and cleaned up all the fragged disc's to alleviate the root nerve compression. When I came to...it was like pulling a bad toothe, i felt great. 6 months later I was under the knife again (partially my fault for not taking it "easy") and had both discs removed. I have had no problems other than if I do too much streneous work (which is too often) I will have some lower back pain for a few hours. My advantage is that I am in good shape, not the least bit overweight and have strong core muscles. If that wasn't the case the docs may have fused or inserted synthetic discs. Body won't regenerate a disc but will fill the void with (can't remember the name) tissue.
I would never ever let a Chiropractor touch me....ever.

Quote:
since my surgery
Backpacked over 175 miles
Work as an aircraft structures mechanic
Do all my yard work,
built a 1400 sq ft addition on house
building a new coop at present.

Yea, I have a "bad back" once it's damaged it will ALWAYS be a bad back.
I've learned my limitations (though exceed them too often) and deal with it.
I'd say I'm 100% pain free...until I do something to generate discomfort.

Back
Top Bottom