HGTV Coop Design

I had this one built for my backyard. Similar to your HGTV plans but better designed. The rough plans -- with lots of in process pix -- are free. For $10 you can get detailed ones.

I added a bale of hay under the coop door on the back side so I could climb in to clean. I think I paid about $7 for it. I've been using it for a year and I've been very happy with it.

Here's mine:

IMG_1185.jpg

Last edited:
The main issue I had with a raised coop was they would lay eggs under it.

I was lucky enough not to have to fetch a hen from under.

Tending birds in a raised coop with rain or snow pouring down your back isn't much fun either.

I love my walk in coops.

As an owner of a half raised coop I totally feel you! That is why the add on is walk in. The older you get the worse the raised kind are.;)
The main issue I had with a raised coop was they would lay eggs under it.

I was lucky enough not to have to fetch a hen from under.

Tending birds in a raised coop with rain or snow pouring down your back isn't much fun either.

I love my walk in coops.

If I had my druthers I'd have a walk-in too. But my coop above fills the chicken yard it's in with just enough room to pilot a small wheelbarrow around it so the space efficiency of over-the-run was a no-brainer choice for me. When the choice is smaller run or half-raised-coop I had to go for the bigger run.

I'm glad to say this rickety old 71yo can still get in and clean :thumbsup thanks to my hay bale step, sturdy construction/materials, a generous door (which is effectively the entire back side), and a height I can stand up in.

I'm glad to say I haven't had to retrieve an egg from under the coop!!! One day I may have to take the extended grabber from my pantry out there but, for now, the girls are happy with their nesting boxes. Whewwwww!!!

Here's to making the most of opportunities!

Last edited:
I had this one built for my backyard. Similar to your HGTV plans but better designed. The rough plans are free. For $10 you can get detailed ones.

I added a bale of hay under the coop door on the back side so I could climb in to clean. I've been using it for a year and I've been very happy with it.

Here's mine:

View attachment 1445299

There is certainly a lot to love with this coop.

Large overhangs, good ventilation, tall enough to get inside, and that covered run make life sweet.

:woot

One thing I had on hand that helped when eggs were carefully placed in the hardest corner to reach was a childs leaf rake.
Just a tip in case you ever have to use it.

Can you put general location in your profile?

The absolute smallest coop I would suggest for even a tiny flock of 3 birds (IMO, you should never have less than 3) would be a 4 x 8 walk in style. Attached run should be at least 10 s.f./bird. The main problem with short coops is that there is not enough height to allow the birds to perch high enough to meet their desire for perching safety, while providing enough space UNDER the perch, and enough space ABOVE the perch for adequate ventilation. Birds are not agile fliers, so need enough room to be able to "stretch wings and glide down" from the perch without doing a face plant on the wall in front of them. A chicken's glide is more like an awkward fall. You also need room behind perch (I suggest 15") so the birds are not brushing their tail feathers on the wall, and to help prevent skid marks on that back wall. A 4 x 4 raised coop simply does not have enough room, no matter how few birds are living in it.

One thing I had on hand that helped when eggs were carefully placed in the hardest corner to reach was a childs leaf rake.
Just a tip in case you ever have to use it.
I have one too. They are very handy for retrieving eggs.

ExpiredMayo, do a lot of research. I have several coops and they are each unique in their own way. They were built over the years as the flocks expanded. You have to figure out what will work for you and the space for your birds. The more birds the better. They are flock creatures. Let the space you have dictate. From my experience the more room especially for the run or pen the better. Most of the birds time will be outside. They are pretty much only in the coop to eat (if you keep your feeder in the coop, I do to keep it dry), roost and for the nest box. You only need one nest box. Many of my birds use the same nest boxes and some have no eggs in them. Often times I will find 2 or 3 birds in one nest box (I have a lot of birds and a lot of nest boxes). A lot depends on where you live and how close your neighbors are. I am very rural. Whatever you decide good luck and have fun...

I forgot to mention, once in a great while one of the birds may die, sometimes for no apparent reason. I breed birds for showing at poultry shows. I just had to cull a couple of chicks. It isn't pleasant but sometimes it's for the best. I don't want the chicks to have difficulties. I don't cull because I like to it's usually because the chick is doomed and most likely will die. I have hatched out thousands of chicks over the years. I have some hatching at this moment. Again, good luck and have fun...

Back
Top Bottom