Wow! That's being thrown in the deep end!We just moved into a house on an acreage and "inherited" 4 laying hens. I am a complete novice and have learned so much from just reading posts on here.
(1) Complete novice, got my chooks 2 weeks ago with the house.
(2) I have 4 girls, now named Liena (strong willed leader of the 4, after my best friend who lives in Tacoma, WA, USA), Skollie after my fav convict character as she escapes the free range yard, Kuifie (her comb is not straight but skew) and Java, after my fav beverage.
(3) I have no idea what breed they are or their ages. They belonged to the previous tenant.
(4) Favourite aspect? Free eggs. Well, free after you take away the feed, the new straw for the clean-out, the new feeders and waterer.... hehe.
(5) My other hobbies are woodturning, sewing, knitting, cutting and designing decals, photography.
(6) Intro: I am the 55 yr old mother to 2 grown boys, one special needs who lives with us, wife of one husband. We have 3 cats, a 6 yr Bengal boy Molotov and 2 Siamese girls, 16 yr BellaDonna and 10 yr old Kookies n Kream. Kooks talks to the hens through the wire, Molotov play-chases them in their free-range yard until I yell at him and BellaD is deaf and blind, she cannot see nor hear them.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? I found you courtesy of google 7 days ago when I was seeking a cause of crop baldness I suspected to be chicken lice or mites. We dipped them, sprayed their coop and put down some fresh straw sprinkled with DE. Their feathers looks beter, almost grown back and I know they are happier. I joined because I have so much more to learn.
I cannot remember, Kiki. I was on google and just clicked pages' links and WHAM, found you. Remember I said I was 55? Our brains are too full at that age to remember tiny details like that. It falls in the chaff category. Only good for nesting.
I don't want to hear it at 66!I cannot remember, Kiki. I was on google and just clicked pages' links and WHAM, found you. Remember I said I was 55? Our brains are too full at that age to remember tiny details like that. It falls in the chaff category. Only good for nesting.