Hi from Aussie

WELCOME TO BYC~
BYC pic (1).jpg

We just moved into a house on an acreage and "inherited" 4 laying hens. I am a complete novice and have learned so much from just reading posts on here.

(1) Complete novice, got my chooks 2 weeks ago with the house.

(2) I have 4 girls, now named Liena (strong willed leader of the 4, after my best friend who lives in Tacoma, WA, USA), Skollie after my fav convict character as she escapes the free range yard, Kuifie (her comb is not straight but skew) and Java, after my fav beverage.

(3) I have no idea what breed they are or their ages. They belonged to the previous tenant.

(4) Favourite aspect? Free eggs. Well, free after you take away the feed, the new straw for the clean-out, the new feeders and waterer.... hehe.

(5) My other hobbies are woodturning, sewing, knitting, cutting and designing decals, photography.

(6) Intro: I am the 55 yr old mother to 2 grown boys, one special needs who lives with us, wife of one husband. We have 3 cats, a 6 yr Bengal boy Molotov and 2 Siamese girls, 16 yr BellaDonna and 10 yr old Kookies n Kream. Kooks talks to the hens through the wire, Molotov play-chases them in their free-range yard until I yell at him and BellaD is deaf and blind, she cannot see nor hear them.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I found you courtesy of google 7 days ago when I was seeking a cause of crop baldness I suspected to be chicken lice or mites. We dipped them, sprayed their coop and put down some fresh straw sprinkled with DE. Their feathers looks beter, almost grown back and I know they are happier. I joined because I have so much more to learn.

Wow! That's being thrown in the deep end!
WELCOME TO BYC.
P1110630 (2).JPG

There's quite a lot of us Aussies on here. We do have a home thread here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island.598568/

but it tends to be pretty quiet.
I'm here & you're most welcome to pop in & chat. We're all a bit mad but perfectly harmless:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ribhs-dcoopage.1295189/page-579

& MaryJanet is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mjs-little-flock.1334809/page-90#post-21944592

No doubt she'll be along to say hi once she rolls out of bed. Those southern states are such laggards!:plbb

My cats are ragdoll Xs, my chickens are mixed, I can't knit so I crochet, we all like putting up our pretty pics on my thread. I'm a sucker for a good sunset [or sunrise for the early birds. :D] This is a great site. Enjoy!​

@Kitikat - Welcome to BYC! :welcome

You've come across a great site, (courtesy of Google search, awesome to hear) full of helpful and knowledgeable folks, so if you ever have more questions don't hesitate to ask. Alot of folks find the site by searching common, and even uncommon issues just like yourself. You'll find folks are fast to reply and know their stuff here!

welcomeimage.png

Back
Top Bottom